Chapter 16 - Those who are strong

"What are you three doing?" Because Rio had work after taking Ruri to the kindergarten, she didn't have a lot of free time to stand in front of the kindergarten to keep guard. "Listen, you three need to stop doing that at some point. You're going to piss off the little guy."

"There's safety in number, Rio-chan. That Aota-san can come back along with Kotarou-chan's father! We're just here to protect him!" Mizuki said to Rio. 

"Rio, when you're free, join us." Karino suggested. 

Rio looked at the kindergarten and she see Ruri was playing outside. She's playing tag with children from another class. She smiled at the scene because her sister was enjoying her time. However, she could see Kotarou mlooking out of the glass door while holding a ball. He was staring at their way. Rio looked back at Karino and the other two, "No. I won't be doing that." 

"You won't?!" Tamaru's raised voice made all the passerby look their way.

"Don't raise your voice at me. There's a right way and a bad way to do something and this is a bad thing to Kotarou." 

"Bad thing?" Karino didn't understand. What's wrong with being protected? It's natural for adults to protect children and they're doing just that. If the father really did show up, it's going to be bad news. It didn't take a genius to know why the father have a no contact order; domestic violence definitely happened. There's no way in hell any of them will let such a violent person go near Kotarou!

"Listen, what you think is a good thing might not be the same to someone. Just saying. I'll see you all later. Old man, pick up my sister for me, will you? I need to go to my next job." 

"Eh? Ah...right..." Karino wondered what Rio was talking about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the past few days, Karino, Tamaru, and Mizuki had been overprotecting Kotarou to the point the little boy was now ignoring them for treating him like a helpless weakling. He was still talking to Rio though because Rio did not treat him helplessly. Rio kept a comfortable distance and the other three adults were confused why Rio had the better treatment.

"Well, Rio is a beautiful girl. All boys like beautiful girls." Tamaru came to that conclusion!

"If that's the case, he shouldn't ignore Mizuki-san." Karino said to him. He didn't understand; Rio did not do lookout duty with them so why was Kotarou ignoring him but not her?

Rio was the earliest at Midori no mori park. Ruri was making a butt in the sand pit. What happened to making sandcastles?

"Look, Nee-chan, I made your butt!" Ruri looked proud of the sandy butt she made.

"Quit spanking it with your shovel." 

"Hahaha!" Ruri kept spanking it. At some point, she saw Takuya coming on his own. "Takuya is here!" 

"Woah! You made a butt!" 

"It's nee-chan's butt!"

"Hahaha! Butt! The shape is prettier than my mom's! By the way, I invited Kotarou. He should be here soon!"

"I invited him before but he said he needs to clean his room first." Ruri looked back and she smiled as Kotarou arrived with his own bucket and shovel. "Kotarou, you're here!" 

Takuya felt awkward though; Kotarou arrived with four adults. "...Should I bring an adult over too?" 

"No, no, don't mind us and please play as if we are not here." Aota was here with Karino, Tamaru, and Mizuki. When he saw Rio sitting on the bench, he called Rio over because he wanted her to hear this too and not leave her in the dark.