Chapter 29 - A good mother

"That's massive, Rio..." Karino was speechless because of how big it was. Never in his life had he seen something so big in his life!

Rio looked real smug, "It's bigger than the one in your pants." 

"Get lost. There is no way someone will survive if they try putting it in them the abnormal way." 

As dirty sounding at the conversation was going, it's nothing dirty; Rio was working part time at a farmer's land because the old man working there got a bad back and his sons and daughters hired Rio to help out and to make sure their father was nowhere near working as she worked on the field. To repay her for her services, on top of giving her the pay she deserved, the old man also allowed her to take home any veggies and the massive daikon she's showing off to Karino was one of the haul. 

"Isn't farming hard?" Karino asked. 

"For young people like me, it's alright I guess? For you, you'd probably hurt your back just pulling potatoes out of the soil." 

"Why do you have to make it sound like I am old?" 

"But you are old, Old man." 

"Geh...still, isn't that too much veggies for you and Ruri?" Rio was holding the gigantic daikon with one hand but her other hand was holding a bag full of various vegetables. It was definitely too much for just two people.

"Ah, Futaba-sensei!" Rio wanted to thank the kindergarten for always taking care of Ruri so she wanted to donate vegetables to them. In the environmental friendly bag were a lot of vegetables. 

"Wow~, thank you very much, Rio-san. I am sure the children will enjoy freshly picked veggies! There's a lot in here!" 

Karino smiled, feeling proud of Rio. He patted her on the head, "You're good, Rio." 

"Bah! I've always been good. This is why you chose me." 

"Such a show off."

Futaba noticed Leo's mother, was passing by. "Ah, Leo-kun's mother and Leo! Hello." 

Leo was in Kotarou and Ruri's class so they all knew one another. 

"Wow, so much veggies!" Leo's mother said with a bright smile, "Fresh from the farm? How nice!" 

"We can make veggie burgers out of them. They're very nice~." Rio said with a smile. 

"Oh? It'd be nice to have that on the menu. Do you think we can have the recipe, Rio-san?" Futaba-sensei asked of Rio, "It's a challenge trying to get kids to eat their veggies but maybe this will be easier?" 

"I'll teach you. I have time." 

"Eh? Where's Ruri today?" 

"Today, she's with Tamaru-san. Come on, let's head to the kitchen. Old man, you are coming too." 

"Me too?!" 

"Can I come too?" Leo's mother asked, "Leo has English class in 2 hours so we have time to learn a new recipe." 

"Everyone's welcome." Rio didn't mind extra company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Futaba was happy because she was eating school lunch with the rest of the class. She followed Rio's instructions to make veggie burgers and a lot of the kids liked the taste of it...a lot of them didn't seem to realize they're eating the vegetables they detested though! It was bad to lie but maybe a little lie here and there will do them some good.