Chapter 11: A Terrible Morning

When Thursday morning arrived and Zac's parents dropped Zac off at community service, Zac got out of the car and waved his parents good-bye. "Bye, mom. I'll see y'all when I get done with community service!"

"Bye, Zackie! Take care and stay out of trouble!" Zac's mom said, closing their eyes, smiling, waving their good-byes back at her son.

Zac gave his mom his annoyed look on his face while he still waved his good-bye at her. 

-Ugh! I wish my mom would stop callin' me that and call me Zac for once!

Before Zac's mom left the area, Zac's eyes widened when he saw something far away from him.

-Ah! What the hell?!

He saw Hadasa running towards him with Kayleb. Hadasa and Kayleb waved at Zac. "Hi, Zac!"

Zac just stood there and didn't even bother waving at them. When Zac gazed at Kayleb, his memories of Kayleb capturing him with his sister at the bus station resurfaced in his heart.

-Oh, my God! It's her bratty ass brother! What's he doin' here anyway?! I haven't seen him in the past four days. I wonder why the hell wasn't he here in the first place.

Zac's mom noticed him not greeting Hadasa and Kayleb. "Uh, Zackie? Aren't you gonna say hi to them back? Because standing there and not greeting people is considered rude, y'know."

Zac crossed his arms and turned his head to the right.

-Okay, why the hell do I have to greet those brats, especially if my parents refuse to call me Zac?!

His mother glared at her son. "Now Zac…if you don't greet them back, I'll extend your punishment by nine more days."

Then Zac sadly turned to his mom.

"I really mean it. Now!" Zac's mom reassured Zac in her serious tone.

-Alright, fine…here goes nothin'...I'm doin' this for you, video games.

By the time Zac reluctantly waved back at Hadasa and Kayleb, they made it near his parents' car. Hadasa placed her hand on it while she and her brother panted there for a moment, leaning themselves forward. 

"Hi there, you two. How are y'all doin' this morning?" Zac's mother waved at Hadasa and Kayleb.

Hadasa and Kayleb looked up at Zac's mother, waving at her back. "We're doin' fine. How about you?"

"I'm doin' fine ourselves," Zac's mom answered.

"You must be Zac's colleagues, yes?" Zac's mom questioned, holding onto the wheel.

Then Hadasa and Kayleb fully stood up.

"Actually, I'm one of Zac's colleagues," Hadasa answered. She looked down at Kayleb. "And Kayleb jus' got here and didn't even work with Zac until today. But he did meet Zac last weekend though."

"Oh, I see…" Zac's mom said. "And if I'm not mistaken, were you with Zac in the park yesterday?"

Zac expanded his eyes out of shock when looking at his own mother. His shadow covered his forehead but not his eyes.