four [not now]

Something that I'd like to see happen in s3

****

Penelope stood still. The words that came from Colin's mouth still leaving her in shock.

"I love you,"

And despite her loving him for years, she was mad. She was mad at him. Because he loved her.

"No," Penelope whispered softly. "No."

Colin looked confused by her words. So she continued.

"You cannot come back into my life and start loving me, the moment I stop loving you," Penelope responds softly. "It's not fair to me."

"Penelope," Colin says and he tries to say something else but Penelope stops him.

"No," Penelope say as again. "I have loved you for years. Years, Colin. I will not let you love me. Not now."

Penelope didn't want to seem upset or mad. But the tears that welled up in her eyes made it obvious that she was upset about this.

"Not when I have someone else. I have given you you're chance. I will not put everything aside for you. Not anymore," Penelope says softly.

Colin stands still. He had never known about her feelings. And now he feels like an idiot for not realizing it sooner.

"Tomorrow I am to be engaged. And that will not be to you,"

Before Colin can get another word in, Penelope walks out of the room.

****

"Penelope Featherington and I are engaged," Harry Dankworth announces to the room. Penelope's arm curved in his.

Colin watched from afar as Harry's mother, Penelope's mother, and his own mother made their way to the two. Everyone seemed overjoyed and he just watched along. Penelope caught sight of him at one point but he quickly walked out of the room.

Penelope sighed and Harry looked at her. Penelope smiled and shock her head for any concern he may have had.

"Something trouble you, my dear?" Violet asked her.

"Not at all," Penelope smiled softly.

Colin walked back into the room a little while later as everyone was now congratulating the couple. People would've started to talk if he wasn't anywhere to be seen. When Colin was in front of the two, he looked at Penelope. His gaze caught hers.

"Congratulations, pen," Colin smiled at her even though his emotions were nowhere near that.

"Thank you, Mr. Bridgerton," Penelope replied.

And that's when it hit.

"Penelope, please don't do this," Colin whispers to her.

"Colin, not here. Not now. I have already told you-" Penelope starts to say before Colin cuts her off.

"I understand what you have said yesterday. And I respect that. But I cannot let this feeling stay," Colin replies.

"Colin, you don't understand! This isn't about you this time! I cannot love you and I have already told you that! I refuse to love you. I refuse to love you the way that you love me," Penelope says.

Harry had heard at this point and looks on at the two.

"You have broken my heart, Colin. I cannot love you when I love someone else," Penelope says softly. People are looking at them but they couldn't care.

"You do not love him, do you?" Harry asks Penelope.

And Penelope stops. Because she doesn't want to lie but she doesn't want to admit she does either. But Harry figures it out soon enough and leaves the room. Now all eyes are on them.

"Harry, wait," Penelope calls softly to him.

But Harry doesn't listen as he walked out the door.

"Look at what you've done!" Penelope says to Colin.

Penelope leaves after Harry and Colin stays put.

****

"Harry!" Penelope calls as she catches up with him.

"Why did you not tell me earlier?" Harry asks.

"Tell you what?" Penelope replied.

"That you love Colin," Harry says.

"I didn't want that to affect what we had. Harry, I still want to marry you. That hasn't changed," Penelope says softly.

"But you're heart belongs to him," Harry replies.

"I've never said that," Penelope whispers.

"But you love him," Harry looks at her and when she finally looks at him, she sees tears in his eyes.

"Harry, I'm sorry," Penelope whispers. "I don't want to love him but I do."

"I don't think we can continue this engagement, miss Featherington," Harry says as he walks away again.

A/N hi, this is for fun :)
it's also for giselle because I've sent her multiple parts of this ♥️ giselle9170