𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

chapter two
the grave of a mother

chapter twothe grave of a mother

KING'S LANDING

122AC

    “DO YOU KNOW where to find wild dragons, Jace?” Rhaella asked while picking up a flower and adding it to the little bouquet she meant to bring to her mother.

    Alysanne hadn't been well in the past couple of days and Rhaella thought a gift could cheer her up a little bit. The first thing that needed to heal was her spirit, and laying in the bed all day, without any source of joy, wasn't certainly doing her good. Rhaella had asked her nurse, Barra, to take her to the gardens ― she wasn't exactly in the mood for causing troubles by sneaking out and, besides, the poor Barra didn't deserve that. Barra also took care of Jace and Luke, and once the boys had agreed to a walk into the gardens Rhaella's wish had been satisfied.

    “I know there are some in Dragonstone. No, Luke, you are not supposed to eat grass!” the young Prince replied, stopping his two year old brother from putting a tuft of grass in his mouth. Rhaella chuckled as the scene ― she found Luke adorable. She would have loved a sibling, maybe a little sister, but she knew it was very unlikely to happen. Her mother never even wanted to discuss marriage after her father's passing, let alone having another child. “Why?”

    Rhaella shrugged. “Just curious, that's all”

    “I don't believe you” Jace admitted. He knew that Rhaella rarely asked questions which didn't have a meaning.

    “Your mother is Princess of Dragonstone, isn't she?” Rhaella ignored his statement and proceeded to ask another question, picking up a primrose in the meantime.

    Jace nodded. “She is” he replied. He was about to speak again when he noticed Luke had brought another tuft of grass to his mouth. “Luke, no!

    The interaction made Barra, who was watching them from a couple of feet away, sitting in the shadow of a big, ancient tree, chuckle. “Your young brother is quite a curious boy, my Prince. Just like you were”

    “I didn't use to put grass in my mouth” Jace firmly replied.

    “Well, you tried to eat a twig once” Rhaella stated nonchalantly.

    Jace's cheeks suddenly turned red. “I did not!” he exclaimed, shaking his head virgously.

    “You even said it tasted funny” Rhaella said with a little laugh. “Do you think your mother would take me to Dragonstone if I asked nicely?” she wondered, switching the topic of the conversation back about what she really wanted to know.

    “Why do you want to go there?” Jace asked, picking up a daisy and having it to Rhaella. “Do you think your mother would like this?”

    Rhaella smiled widely. “Of course! Daisies are her favourites. She'll love to know that you and Luke helped me preparing this” she replied, adding the flower to the bouquet.