𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬

chapter thirty-nine
sound of broken hearts

chapter thirty-ninesound of broken hearts

WINTERFELL

134 AC

    THE NIGHT'S WATCH HAD RAISED RHAELLA'S CURIOSITY more than once during her youth, when she still lived in the Red Keep. Since she had nothing to do besides read and read and read for most of her days, Rhaella had devoured every single book she had laid her eyes on and, giving her preference for history, she had naturally learnt the whole story of Westeros. She had started with her ancestors ― she had read every single document about Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters-wives, Rhaenys and Visenya, that was held in the Red Keep ― and had then moved to the events before that. The children of the forest, the First Men, the Age of Heroes and, naturally, the Wall and the order of the Night's Watch.

    The men of Night's Watch wore only black and they were often addressed as black brothers. They were divided in three orders: stewards, builders, and rangers. All of them were subject to the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and each of the three orders was led by its own officer, appointed by the Lord Commander. If Rhaella wasn't mistaken, the current Lord Commander was Graige Mormont, the younger brother of Lord Mormont, Lyra's uncle.

    As she followed Alysanne in order to reach the courtyard, Rhaella wondered the reason that had brought six members of the Night's Watch to Winterfell. She was aware that many Lords of the North ― Cregan as well ― were good friends with the black brothers, but it was clear that Alysanne was surprised by their arrival and it seems strange that Cregan hadn't told her about such a thing. For Rhaella, it was clear that the Lord of Winterfell deeply appreciated his wife and he relied a lot on her opinion ― he wouldn't have kept this from her.

    “Welcome, my friends” Cregan said as the men of the Night's Watch climbed down their horses and handed the reins to some stable boys. He had naturally stopped his training with Jace and had put the sword back in his sheath. Jacaerys was standing a couple of feet behind him and Lord Cerwyn was by his side. Without thinking, Rhaella's gaze searched for Sara. Of course, she was there, staring at Jace, completely unbothered by everything that was happening around her. “What brings you here?”

    “Does a man need a reason to visit a friend?” Lord Graige wondered as he walked towards Cregan with open arms.

    “Of course not” Cregan replied with a laugh, hugging the Lord Commander and patting on his shoulders. “You and any of your men are welcomed in Winterfell as long as you wish”

    “Thank you, Cregan” Graige replied with a smile, his eyes sparkling. It was obvious he was very glad of being reunited with his friend and the feeling for Cregan was mutual. “I believe you have already met some of my men. First Ranger Rys Rivers; Rangers Cedrick Lannister, Ronnal Baratheon and Dickon Morrigen; Steward Theo Manderly and recruit Conde Appleton”