𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

chapter seventeen
awakening

chapter seventeenawakening

DRAGONSTONE

132AC

    THE WIND WAS BLOWING so hard in his face that it almost hurt him, and it was incredibly difficult to keep his eyes open as he was flying faster than he had ever done. He could feel his heart pounding in his ears, so loud that he couldn't even hear the sound of the wind, or the words Daemon was screaming from the back of Caraxes. He felt out of breath, weak, scared, and he hated every single thing about it.

    Jacaerys had yet to understand what had happened, how it was possible that someone managed to walk into the Dragonstone Castle undisturbed, killed three of the most skilled swordsmen of the realm and then proceeded to attempt at the life of his mother and his sibilings. At the life of Rhaella.

    Truth to be told, he didn't exactly care about how it happened. He just wanted to make sure everyone he cared about was safe, and that's the reason why he was pushing Vermax to his limits, because they had to find them, quickly.

    Jace knew something was wrong in the moment in which he walked into his mother's chambers, passing by the corpses of the men he used to train with, and found none. Up until that moment, the boy had managed not to completely panick ― even if he went really close to it when Ser Robert Pince advised him and Daemon that there had been an attack at the Castle. They were still at the village, attempting to establish some peace between the people who were involved in the riot. Everything happened because a young man couldn't resist to the temptation of stealing some jewels from the ship that had just arrived to the port, but he paid for it dearly, with his life. He chocked on his drink, and the guards had labeled it as an accident, but many people swore they had seen a man put something into his glass. The crew of the ship ― they were Dornish ― denied they had anything to do with it. Of course, the family of the late man didn't believe them one bit, and started to insult them. Insults quickly became something more and suddenly, everyone was throwing punches at each other.

    The arrival of Daemon and Jace, along with Caraxes and Vermax, was enough to calm everyone, but accusations were still made and the family of the man demanded justice. Jace and Daemon were trying to clear the situation up when they were advised their family was in danger.

    At the beginning, Jace was confused. He couldn't understand who could be attacking the Castle. Certainly not an army, or they would have noticed it. Dragonstone was a island and its only port was near to the village, they certainly would have noticed if ships that were carrying thousands of soldiers arrived. An assassin was the only logical explanation ― even if it sounded weird. He was terrified, but as he thought about the fact that Rhaella was there, he also realised that they were all probably safe. Rhaella's gift was a secret a very few people were aware of ― not even his mother and Daemon knew, so it was not possible that some assassin was prepared to face her. And even if he knew, there was no way he could handle her. Rhaella was able to throw people meters away with a simple movement of her hands, how could someone compete against this?