𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦

chapter thirty-four
riders on the storm

chapter thirty-fourriders on the storm

DRAGONSTONE

134 AC

    “HAVE YOU GONE INSANE?” RHAELLA ASKED HER HUSBAND, her voice high-pitched after the doors of their chambers closed behind them and they were finally left alone. “What were you thinking?”

    Jace blinked, slightly confused by her behaviour. “What do you mean?”

    “What do I mean― Jacaerys!” Rhaella scoffed, incredulous. She wondered if Jace was truly oblivious to the reason behind her anger, as if his idea wasn’t clearly the most stupid thing that had ever crossed his mind. She placed her hands on her temples, a sigh escaping her mind. She had a terrible headache due to the council meeting ― it had lasted too long, and Rhaella’s mind hadn’t stopped spinning and thinking about all the consequences that Jace’s idea could have. Someone could argue she was overreacting, but the Greens had proven more than once what they were capable of and Rhaella was terrified of losing another member of her family. “Send us? Why on Earth would you say that?”

     “I said what needed to be said” Jace replied, still confused. “Vermax and Arrax are a lot faster than ravens and seeing a dragon could encourage these Houses to remember the oath they swore to my mother, their Queen

    Rhaella let out another sigh, shaking her head. “Jace, do you have any idea of how dangerous this could be? I don’t care if dragons fly faster than ravens, you can not go around for the Seven Kingdoms while Aegon is King”

    “He is not the King” Jace replied.

    “You know what I mean!” Rhaella said, irritated. “Jace―”

   “I don’t understand, why are you acting like this?” Jace wondered, his hands on his hip. That was it, it was official. Men were clueless, or at least Rhaella’s man was.

    “Because you seem not to realise what you’ve gotten yourself into!” she replied, maybe a little bit harsher that she would’ve liked. A glass that was on her small table next to the bed shattered, making Jace falter. “Do you understand how easy it would be to attack you and your brother if you are alone, away from home?”

    “Rhaella―”

   “Don’t ‘Rhaella’ me” she warned him. She felt her cheeks on fire as she was on the verge of tears, her lower lip quivering. “Jace, it is the Greens we are discussing about. They are the same people that killed my mother only because they wanted to set up a betrothal between me and Aemond, the people who wanted your brother’s eye as a payment because of what happened at Driftmark! They have stolen your mother’s birthright without the blink of an eye, Jace. What if the Starks, the Arryns or the Baratheons decide to give their support to Aegon instead of Rhaenyra? Have you not thought about what could happen to you and Luke?”