𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

chapter twenty-two
midnight rain

chapter twenty-twomidnight rain

DRAGONSTONE

134 AC

    THE WHOLE ROOM was crowded ― too crowded for Jace's liking. His mother had invited every member of the most relevant families in Westers, stating that it was what Rhaella deserved. Jace didn't doubt for a minute that Rhaella deserved to be celebrated in such a way ― Rhaella deserves the world ― but he doubted that it was what she wanted. Knowing her, Jace was pretty sure she would prefer to celebrate just with the people closer to her, and eat a cake full of strawberries in Aegon's garden, like they did the previous year when she turned seventeen.

    Despite the fact that so many people were there that night, Jace knew that the one person who was truly important to Rhaella wasn't, and that sucked. His mother had of course sent invitations to King's Landing, to Helaena in particular, but the offer had been declined. Helaena had apologised profusely in her letter, writing that it was extremely painful for her not to be able to me it to Rhaella's name day ― and Jace believed her. He knew that Helaena wasn't the problem, she had never been, unlike all the people who surrounded her.

    Rhaella missed Helaena more than anything and the news that she wasn't going to see her not even for her name day had cracked something inside her. She had left for the whole day, flying on Cannibal's back around the island, wishing to be only in the company of her dragon. It had been almost two years since Rhaella and Helaena saw each other and, even if Rhaella could potentially go back to King's Landing to visit, she couldn't bring herself to do so. She was too scared ― rightfully ― and if she ever decided to actually go there, Jace was not going to leave her alone. He was going with her, whether the Hightowers liked it or not.

    Jace was feeling nervous. He couldn't describe the reason behind it, but he could feel his breath being a little heavy and his hands sweating at the anticipation of seeing Rhaella walk into the room. It was nothing compared to the way his heart thumbed into his ears a few hours before, when he went to search for Rhaella in order to give her the little handmade necklace he had done specifically for this occasion. He had spent at least ten minutes pacing back and forth in front of the doors of her chambers and then, when he had finally gathered the courage to walk in, she wasn't there.

    Luckly for him, he didn't have to wait long, or the anxiety would have gotten over him and he would have walked away, the necklace still in the box in his pocket. He was incredibly happy when Rhaella told him she liked the gift ― her eyes shining with joy. It had been a while since he had seen her so carefree. Jace often found her with her gaze lost, not really paying attention to what someone was saying, thoughts running through her mind, thoughts he couldn't interpret.

    Rhaella had changed, after she met her grandmother. Jace had to admit he wasn't Aemira biggest fan, but he was glad Rhaella could reconnect with a person of her immediate family, someone who could tell more about her mother and mainly about her father. However, since Aemira came into their lives, Rhaella had lost some of the joy that she had found when she finally arrived in Dragonstone. She was always worried, preoccupied, scared that she would hurt someone. The truths Aemira had revealed were something Rhaella needed to know ― it was her right ― but Jace believed Aemira could have at least tried not to scare her granddaughter to death. The fact that she could potentially cause another Doom was slowly killing Rhaella, and Jace was honestly scared she would try to leave, in the hopes of saving everyone from her so-called gift. She almost did, right after she learned the truth.