𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞

chapter thirteen
surrounded by love

chapter thirteensurrounded by love

DRAGONSTONE

132AC

    “I'm going to see Cannibal”

    Jace blinked. “Ella” he said. “What?

    Rhaella took a seat in front of him, pulled towards her the book he was reading ― completely ignoring his protests ― and closed it. “I'm going to see Cannibal” she repeated. “Are you coming with me?”

    Again, Jace blinked. “Ella, did you forget that you promised me not to go near him anymore yesterday?”

    Rhaella shot him a smile. “If I recall correctly, I promised you I won't go there alone anymore, Jace”

    Jace sighed. Rhaella was out of her mind. They had barely survived an encounter with the creature, and she wanted to run into him again, willingly this time. Moreover, his mother and Daemon would kill them if they found out they were putting their lives at risk in such a foolish way.

    Explaining what happened to them hadn't been easy, but to be fair, it was not like they had explained much. After the Maesters had taken care of both Rhaella's and Jace's wounds and had determined there was nothing serious in them ― much to relief of Rhaenyra ― his parents clearly wanted an explanation. And Rhaella gave it to them, but she didn't quite tell them the full story.

    She told them she needed to take a walk after her conversation with Jace, because she felt upset about the fact the he apparently wanted nothing to do with her, and lost track of time. She reached the eastern side of the Dragonmont, where Cannibal laired, and Jace was able to reach to her just before the wild dragon returned to his nest. He still noticed them, and they tried to escape, injuring themselves in the process, as they took refugee in a small cavern in which the dragon couldn't enter. After a while, Cannibal gave up on them, and simply flew away.

    Not everything was a lie ― Rhaella had reached the eastern side of the Dragonmont, Jace had found her, and Cannibal had noticed both of them and had tried to turn Jace into his meal, but Rhaella had forgot to mention the very important detail in which she had been standing in front of the dragon for the Gods know how long and that Cannibal had listened to her. Jace had no doubt about that. When he was laying on the ground, still a little dizzy because he had hit his head, Rhaella had launched herself on Cannibal and had ordered him to leave Jace alone. Lykirī, stay calm. Cannibal wasn't impressed at first, but in the end he had done as she asked. He had flown away, leaving them alone.

    Cannibal had no reason to listen to Rhaella at all. No dragon would listen to someone who was not their rider, let alone a wild dragon. He also had no reason to fear Rhaella, or Jace. They were so incredibly small compared to him and he could easily devour them or burn them alive in less than a second. However, he didn't, because he listened to what Rhaella had said.