𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

chapter twenty-eight
the last night

chapter twenty-eightthe last night

KING'S LANDING

134 AC

    “I DON'T GET WHY WE ARE THE ONES ON LOOKOUT” Luke complained, an annoyed huff escaping his mouth as his back leaned against the wall. “Baela got to follow Otto, Jace and Ella are the one stealing the phial, why did they get all the fun parts?”

    Lucerys was honestly bothered by the fact that all he had to do was stand in the ally and make sure none showed up. After Jace had decided to beat Aemond up ― which had been fantastic, even if Jace got a few wounds out of that match ― he and Rhaella had talked and finally, made peace. Jace hadn't got into details, they didn't even had the time to do so, but he seemed serene, and so seemed Rhaella. To Luke, it was all that mattered.

    However, the terrible threat of the Hightowers was still pending over their heads, and they needed to sort something out. Luckly for them, Rhaella had thought about something.

    It wasn't like Daemon didn't have a plan. He did, he had plenty. Unfortunately, none of them got approved by his wife, since they all pretty much involved Otto Hightower having a gruesome end of life, mostly by well-planned accidents. Rhaenyra had no desire for Otto to be alive, but she reckoned an accident during such a time would have been too suspicious, and Luke agreed with his mother. If something like that happened, everyone would blame them, and they would make more enemies than allies.

    Since killing Otto was apparently not a thing he could do, Daemon insisted on trying to speak with Viserys. He was sure the King would stand up for his daughter, his first child, the baby born from the one woman he truly loved. Maybe he truly would ― he had always showed a preference for Rhaenyra, and never questioned once the legitimacy of her children. But Viserys was too weak, his sickness devouring him day after day. Lucerys hadn't seen him, but he had listened to his mother speaking about it. Rhaenyra was deeply upset after the meeting with her father, as she couldn't believe a man who once was so strong could now lie in bed, barely able to pronounce a couple of words.

    Because of this, Viserys wasn't an option either.

     Rhaella had suggested they tried to expose Otto for his crimes ― Alysanne's death specifically ― during the hearing, in a moment in which the Hightowers wouldn't expect, right when they were thinking they were about to win. However, to do such a thing, they needed proof.

    So, now Luke and Rhaena were standing outside Otto's chambers, while Jace and Ella had snuck inside, searching for the phial that the Hand had showed her when he revealed the truth about her mother's death. The phial that contained Tears of Lys. Rhaella had forgot to mention in the first time she told them the things Otto had said ― the pain and the heartbreak still too fresh for her mind to be able to recall everything.