𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐨𝐧

chapter eight
a new horizon

chapter eighta new horizon

KING'S LANDING

132 AC

    “I DON'T KNOW what to do, Hel” Rhaella said with a sigh, hiding her head between her knees.

    “I believe it's rather obvious, Ella” Helaena replied with a soft smile, rubbing her round belly gently.

    Rhaella had to talk to the King that afternoon. Viserys had formally requested her presence in her chambers, in order to discuss an important matter. Of course, he didn't know that Rhaella was already aware of the matter on which he wanted to hear her opinion, let alone the fact that Alicent had ordered her to say certain things.

    Rhaella had thought she was doomed, that the only chance she had to get away from the Red Keep was already lost, but it was before the events that occurred in the bathroom the previous night. She remembered vividly the imagines that had ran through her mind ― fire, blood, complete destruction ― and the words which had formed from the dripping water. The girl didn't have a clue about what they could possibly mean, but she was sure she would be able to find out only in Dragonstone.

    After a long sleep she very much needed, Rhaella had immediately looked for Helaena, right after breakfast. She was the only one Rhaella trusted enough to speak freely, and moreover she was quite used to deal with weird things.

    “It's not that simple” Rhaella argued, raising her head to look at her cousin.

    “You wish to go, Ella” Helaena stated. “And you will be able to go. I saw you there”

    Rhaella was about to ask Helaena what she meant, but then decided against it. She had learned over time that Helaena often couldn't give clear answers, not because she didn't want to, but because that was the way her gift worked.

    Heleana was a Dreamer. At least, Rhaella believed so. She often spoke words that sounded mysterious, but then acquired sense after a particular event occurred. Rhaella had started paying attention to it after Heleana had basically predicted her mother's death. After that, she realised the weight that many of her sentences had. It was absurd, in her opinion, the fact that none else had noticed. Heleana plainly spoke in the presence of many, but none ever questioned the meaning of her words. People ― including her mother and her brothers ― simply believed she was a little weird, that she had her head in the clouds. Which could also be true, but there was so much more about Heleana that very few were able to understand.

    Rhaella had learned to pay a lot of attention to the things her cousins said, and believed her almost immediately when she gave her some advice. Heleana was a kind soul, she was nothing like Alicent or Otto, and she wasn't interested in the feud those two had created. It was terrible, the fact that she had to marry Aegon, because her mother had decided so. The wedding had taken place six months before, and Heleana was already with a child. Aegon, with no surprise from anyone, had turned to be a terrible husband. He ignored Heleana, basically discarded her, and found his best companions in alcohol and brothels. Many peasants had seen him leaving the buildings that hosted prostitutes of an high level, but none had ever done anything about it. Viserys probably wasn't even aware of his eldest son behaviour, and Alicent was too blinded by her own rectitude to admit that Aegon was not the man she had hoped to raise.