𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞

chapter thirty-seven
pact of ice and fire

chapter thirty-sevenpact of ice and fire

WINTERFELL

134 AC

    THE ENTIRE WINTERFELL'S COURTYARD WAS PLUNGED INTO CHAOS as Cannibal flew above the fortress in circles, the flap of his wings creating strong gusts of wind. People were screaming, children were crying ― Jace remembered their astonishment when he had arrived on Vermax, but this time it was a whole other story, especially because Cannibal was much bigger than Vermax, and much more terrifying.

    Jacaerys felt bad for the people of Winterfell ― he was certain Rhaella had no intention to scare or hurt them ― but some more important thoughts were occupying his mind. Rhaella wasn't supposed to be there, she was supposed to be on Dragonstone. He was indeed incredibly glad to see her, but the joy he felt was very quickly replaced with worry. His mind was spinning, searching for a reason that could have led Rhaella to leave the island of Dragonstone, and every single thought that popped into his head seemed to be awful. He wondered if something had happened while he was on his journey, if Aegon had decided to initiate the war by attacking Dragonstone directly and Rhaella had managed to escape. If that was the case, where was the rest of his family now? Had Rhaella been the only one able to flee? Impossible ― Rhaella would rather die than leaving the others to their fate. He threw himself down the stairs, followed by a breathless Alysanne who tried her best to keep his pace.

    “What is happening, Jacaerys?” Alysanne asked as they climbed down the stairs.

    “I have no idea” he replied, his heart racing so fast he was scared it would burst out of his chest.

    The rookery was a very high tower ― perhaps the highest after one of the watchtowers  ― but nevertheless Jace managed to reach the courtyard in about a minute, just in time to see Cannibal landing outside the city walls, raising a large amount of snow around him. The dragon let out a roar which echoed through the sky, similar to the sound of a loud thunder.

    Cregan was in the courtyard as well, his hand on the hilt of his sword, surrounded by some of his best men. Lord Cerwyn was there as well. “Jace, why the hell is there a dragon ― which doesn't look anything like Vermax ― outside the walls?” the Lord of Winterfell asked as he came up beside him and Alysanne, then walking towards the heavy, wooden doors.

    “The Prince will protect us from the dragon” Sara said. Jace hadn't even noticed her, she had popped out of nowhere. He had no time for her, not now, not ever.

    “If I knew, I would be glad to tell you” Jacaerys replied, ignoring Sara's statement. “And tell your men to put away their swords, Cannibal won't hurt us”

    Cregan opened his eyes wide. “Cannibal?” he asked, astonished. “Why the fuck is Cannibal here? And why should I believe that a dragon named Cannibal doesn't want to eat us all?”