𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧

chapter four
the princess and the queen

chapter fourthe princess and the queen

KING'S LANDING

126AC

    NOTHING was more exciting than the idea of flying on a dragon, at least for the ten year old Rhaella. However, the birth of a new baby was close enough. She was too little to remember much about Luke's birth and his newborn stage, but she still recalled how glad she was at the thought of having another cousin to play with. Mostly, she was thrilled because she really thought Luke was a girl. He ended up being a boy, obviously, and Rhaella didn't mind too much ― he was adorable and that was enough to dismiss her inital disappointment. Moreover, she knew that it was likely for Rhaneyra ― and even for the Queen ― to get pregnant again, so she was still sure that she would get a girl at some point.

    Alicent never had another child. Daeron, who was born two years before Lucerys, was bound to be the youngest child of the King and his second wife, Rhaella never really got to know him. When he was still a little kid he was sent to serve as a cupbearer and squire to Lord Otto Hightower, in Oldtown. Sometimes, the Queen received a letter from his cousin in which he informed her of her son's state.

    On the other hand, Rhaneyra did get pregnant again, and Rhaella was over the moon when she heard the news. This time, she was sure it was going to be a girl. It wasn't that she didn't like the boys ― but sometimes they were too chaotic and always picked on eachother. It was nothing bad, really, they all got along most of the time, and loved eachother. But Rhaella firmly believed she and Heleana needed an ally. The Red Keep had already enough Targaryen boys who could carry on the same and stuff. In addition to this, Rhaella had never seen a baby girl since she was younger than Heleana. She didn't expect baby girls to look too different from boys, but she was still curious.

    While Jace and Luke were playing with Barra, Rhaella couldn't focus on whatever game they were doing. She was staring anxiously at the door, waiting for Rhaenyra and Laenor to walk in with the baby. Ser Harwin was also in the room. Actually, he was around most of the time. His sword lessons with Rhaella and Jace were still regular ― they trained once a week ― and, being Rhaenyra's sworn protector, in addition to his role as the Captain of the City Watch, obviously made him very affectionate and attentive towards her children. Jace and Luke adored him, and Rhaella could understand it very well. She adored him too.

    “Anxious much, Princess?” Ser Harwin asked, noticed how Rhaella was merely paying attention to the game the boys were playing.

    “I'm just wondering how they will name her” she replied as she took one of her silver locks and started playing with it. Ser Harwin raised a brow as he heard the little girl saying 'her'. “I was thinking Aemma, or maybe Visenya. I know what if the Princess had a sister she wanted to name her Visenya. What do you think?”