𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞: 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤

chapter five
driftmark

chapter fivedriftmark

DRIFTMARK

126 AC

    AS THE OCEAN'S BREEZE softly caressed her cheeks and made her locks of silver hair fall in front of her face, Rhaella wondered if she could make it blow harder. She wondered if she could make the soft wind turn into storm as the ocean's wave would raise and wipe everything out. She probably could, but she didn't know how. It was never something she actually meant to do, it just happened. And that freaked her out.

    Since Rhaenyra had left, bringing with her Jace and Luke, since the ground had trembled beneath her feet, Rhaella had realised it was her fault. The things that happened when she was angry, or sad, or scared ― somehow it was her fault.

    At the beginning, she believed it was a coincidence. Things happened and she happened to be sad or angry or scared at the same time. After a while though, she started to find it strange. Cracks in the glasses of her room, windows that suddenly opened when she woke up from a nightmare, the wind blowing like there was a storm outside when the sky was clear from clouds. When she had to say goodbye to Jace, Luke and Nyra, after saying farewell to Ser Harwin, she was sure she had felt the ground moving beneath her feet. She had pretended not to notice anything, though. She didn’t want them to look at her like she was insane.

    She was capable of doing things, but she couldn’t control it. Therefore, in order not to hurt anyone, she had decided to stay away from things that could cause her to feel very intense emotions. She never step foot in the Dragonpit again. She tried not to think about her mother, her father, Aelyx, about all the people that she lost.

    But then, they had to leave for Driftmark. Rhaella had always wanted to travel and see other places besides King’s Landing. She was born in Essos, but she had left the Estearn Continent when she was two years old, and she could hardly rembeber anything about it. King’s Landing was everything she had ever known and she was eager to learn more about the world outside the Capital. However, she never wanted to visit Driftmark on such a sad occasion.

    Laena Velaryon, daughter of Princess Rhaenys and Lord Corlys Velaryon, Daemon Targaryen’s wife, passed away in childbirth. She was in Pentos with her husband and her daughters when it happened and Daemon had now brought his wife back to her homeland, where she belonged. The King and his family of course attended the funeral, as did Rhaenyra, Laenor and their children. Rhaella never expected to be reunited with Jace and Luke so soon, but she couldn’t be happy, not when Baela and Rhaena were mourning the loss of her mother. She knew the way their feeling too well, and it scared her. The wound of her mother's death were still open and Rhaella couldn't lose her cool.

    It was hard. The situation she was witnessing was too similar to her own. Children who lost their mother. And a mother who lost her daughter. Rhaella could feel a knot in her stomach as the memories of Alysanne's passing flashed through her mind. But she had to stay calm, for everyone's sake.