Chapter Four: Familiarity

I got dressed and left out that morning like I normally did. The sky was coated in thick clouds as it lightly precipitated for the first time in something like three months. The once busy streets were barren, since most sane people were staying indoors and out of the rain. I drove on the unsettlingly empty streets and roads to my first class with no traffic at all, which made me about an hour early. Even the campus was empty. How many people were skipping class because it was drizzling?

I found Scott and warmed up with him in the choir room before everyone else started showing up to do the same. Kirstie was going to come visit us in a few weeks so Scotty had to find all his favorite clubbing spots to take her to. He really was a mess, but I loved him so...

"Can we go over the song for the concert?"

"The opera thing?"

"Yeah! I need to get the very end of it. I think I keep going flat."

I opened my eyes wide and nodded at him sarcastically. "I mean. I was going to say something, but..."

He pressed his hand to his ear, like a phone. "Hello, Kirstie? Yeah. I don't have any friends here."

We shared in a laugh before launching into a long rehearsal. It didn't take long before the altos were growing chatty and just about everyone else was getting irritable. Not the altos fault, just what happens when a choir is together too long.

After everyone left, Scott and I stood around talking for a while before going in separate directions home. I'd probably see him again in a few days. I drove home and decided to take a quick walk around town, since I had at least another hour of sun. The hospital looked pretty barren, which was probably a good and bad thing. I sighed and jogged around a little. I wanted to make the next walk signal to cross the street. I collided shoulders with a tall doctor in scrubs and fell back. It was like walking into a wall.

"Sorry, dude! You alright?" His voice sounded familiar, but I ignored it and took his hand. He pulled me to my feet.

"Yeah! I'm fine. Sorry about that."

"Avi?"

I stopped brushing myself off and looked up into Kevin's smoky brown eyes. "Oh, hell no."

"Why are you here?"

"Don't say that like I planned this. It's bullshit." I stepped back from Kevin and folded my arms. "I've been talking about UCLA for years. This is your fault."

"Excuse me?!"

I waved my hand and stormed off past him. He yelled something at me, but I'd pressed my headphones into my ears and started blasting the latest Miike Snow album. I wasn't going to let him ruin my otherwise okay day. I'd take a short walk, and then I'd head home and have some soup or something.