Chapter Nine: Tomorrow

-Kevin's Point of View-

I was in my living room practicing my cello when I heard my phone ring on the small table next to me. I answered it calmly, without looking to see who it was.

"Hello?"

"Kevin!" Kirstie was beaming through my phone. "I have so much to tell you! Wait. First, tell me about your day."

"Alright..." I couldn't help but smile. She was so excited about something that it made her talk faster because she wanted to tell someone. "Well, I woke up and went to work at the hospital, like normal, and ended up in the children's ward as a giant play thing."

"Sounds like you."

"Kids love me! Anyway, I went to some classes and did some studying and now I'm practicing cello."

"Ugh. You're so boring."

"Shut up! I have fun!"

"Watching movies doesn't count if it's all you do!"

I rolled my eyes and put my phone on speaker. I sat it down on the table next to me so I could at least practice the piece I was working on while we talked. "I saw Avi today."

"Did you!? Tell him I said hi!"

"This is not a happy occasion!"

"Oh? Oh. My bad."

"Dummy."

"Well, did you fight him?"

I thought back to the embarrassing display we'd put on and decided not to go too into detail. "No... We exchanged a few words and walked away."

"Oh! That's more polite than you two usually are. Maybe your old age is making you soft."

"I'm not old!"

"What was that grandpa? I think you dropped your teeth again."

"I'm gonna fight you."

She laughed and gasped as she remembered the thing that she was so excited about earlier. "Kevin! I'll be there tomorrow!"

"I know. Scott told me."

"NO! I told him to keep his big-ass mouth shut!"

"He doesn't know how," I laughed.

"Tell him I said he's a giant fucking disappointment when it comes to surprises."

"Giant fucking disappointment. Got it."

"Thanks, Kevy-Bear."

"Yup. I'm going to finish practicing. I'll call you tomorrow?"

"You better! I need to come see you!"

Of all the people I called my friends Kirstie was my favorite. She was so sweet and caring. She was like a mother duck a lot of the time. I would never forget that time I took her to see Kinky Boots while it was in town and she pulled an apple out of her purse and a knife to peel and cut it. She was super funny too, her and Mitch. I couldn't wait to see her tomorrow. I'd have to clean my apartment up... I sighed and put Beyoncé back in her case. In case you didn't know, I call my cello Beyoncé.