Chapter Eight: Exes

*** Sorry I've been so slow with this one! I have no idea what's going on. I'm gonna get it together y'all. I'll be back on schedule really soon. Comment/Vote/Follow! ***

After a long walk around town to familiarize myself, I sat in my office waiting for one of two things: either Mitch was going to call me, or my hot neighbor would walk by his unprotected window again. I leaned back in my chair and pulled my hands over my face. Of all the people to live in the same area as me...

My phone rang on the desk and I checked to make sure it was Mitch before I answered it. I kept forgetting that I hadn't changed my default ringtone since I made it the same as Mitch's. I made note of that and would probably forget it soon.

"Hello?"

"Avriel. You haven't called me in two weeks. You better have died."

"Yes, Mitchie. I died. My funeral is Friday. Hope you can attend."

"Oh... Shoot... I can't make it. I have something important," he said sarcastically. I had always loved phone calls with Mitch. We'd become very close since our break up to the point of almost being best friends. "Anything important happen since your death?"

I rested my ankle on my knee and looked up at the ceiling. "Well... I met this girl in choir, but I don't think she's my type. She's too... bubbly?"

Mitch smacked his lips. "Yeah... You like 'em sassy." He was talking about himself. Typical. Mitch was a great boyfriend while we were together, and an even better friend since. I remembered taking him with me to this random beach in Florida and watching the sunset together. It was almost the last thing I did as his boyfriend, that and prom.

"I mean I like sassy, but there was this one time, right? I dated this real bitchy individual."

"Thank you," he said in a voice so deadpanned I couldn't do anything but laugh.

"I love you!"

"Bull shit in August." We shared in a light laugh before a prolonged silence.

"OH! I had two things happen this week."

"Two whole things?! Life of the party, you."

"Shutup. No, but I discovered I have a very hot, very well endowed neighbor that doesn't pull his curtains all the way down."

"Lucky~! I want one of those..."

"Right? The only down side is that Kevin lives somewhere around here..."

There was a silence. "Well... Maybe this is y'all's chance to be friends!"

"Y'all's."

"Don't make me slap you."

I hummed a little, since I knew he couldn't see me raising my eyebrows.

"You two have been fighting since you were like 6 or something right? Just kiss and make up already."

"Not enough money, or thirst, in the world to make me want to consider that."

He sighed. "You're so stupid."

We continued to talk about nothing for about an hour before he had to run off to some senior event thing. After his graduation, he'd decided he wanted to move out by Scott, so they could rekindle their best friend flame. Those two would share a brain if science had the possibility.

"Alright, Avi, I'm going to go before someone's little sister yells at me."

"Okay. Don't kill anyone with your eyebrows!"

"What? You know what... I hope Kevin hugs you tomorrow."

I gasped. "You take that back!"

"Bye!" He laughed.