They See Me Rollin'

Aizawa looked closely at Midoriya, then, he moved away. It happened again, so it wasn't a coincidence.

Just a moment ago, as Aizawa was passing by, Midoriya's eyes widened. When Aizawa moved out of view, his eyes went slightly down, and he looked sort of disappointed.

"What is it, Mr. Aizawa?" Iida asked.

"I think he recognizes me somehow."

"Really?!" Uraraka exclaimed before moving in front of Deku.

He only looked down again. Uraraka felt somewhat offended.

"Why is he only reacting to you?" She asked when something occurred to her, "Wait, what about his mom? Do you think he'd recognize her?"

"That's a thought. When we get back to the dorms, we can test it out."

They ended up catching Inko on her way back from the store while they were heading to the dorms. She had a lot more groceries than she would need.

"What's all of this for?" Uraraka gestured to the bags.

"Oh, I just wanted to help out with the shopping since you guys were nice enough to let me stay here."

"Let me carry some of those, ma'am" Iida said, taking some of the load.

As they went into the dorms, Aizawa explained the situation.

"I see, that's great news! I'll help for sure. He would definitely remember me!"

Inko stood in front of her son and smiled. Nothing happened. Her smile diminished a little.

"I think I know what it is," Aizawa stated, "I was the person who found him. Maybe I'm just the first person he saw."

"Didn't you say there was another boy in there with him?" Uraraka questioned.

"He could have just not seen him. He couldn't exactly turn his head to look."

"Wait, if he recognized you, does that mean he can see us right now?" Iida realized.

Aizawa pinched his chin between two fingers and said, "Possibly, but judging by the fact that his eyes don't react to movement, I doubt he can see very well. It might also be that his brain can't properly process what he's seeing."

They were all too focused to see that Inko was quietly crying. She held onto Izuku's bony hand and sobbed.

"Ms. Midoriya! Are you alright?" Uraraka asked after finally noticing.

"Yes, yes, I'm- I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me, I just felt- really sad looking at him." Inko took a few deep breaths, "I suppose I should feel glad that he can see somewhat, but it will take so much effort just to get him close to being back to normal. He'll never be truly the same again. My heart just can't take it."

"Don't worry Ms. Midoriya, we won't give up on him. He may not be the same again, but we'll try our best to return him as best as we can." Aizawa reassured, "But for now, how about we put these groceries away and relax?"

The rest of the day consisted of the students getting to know Inko. Aizawa sat close to Deku since he seemed happier when he was in sight. Deku didn't seem to react to touch very well, in fact, he even closed his eyes a few times when he was touched.

One time, when Aizawa left to use the bathroom, tears started rolling down Deku's face. It was a very strange sight since his facial expression didn't change at all. When Aizawa came back, he just sighed and said that they needed to come up with a solution for this.

When night came, they decided that Deku would stay in the same room as his mother, in case something happened. They also weren't sure if he would actually go to sleep or not, but Aizawa pointed out that he could go to sleep whenever he wanted, so it didn't really matter.