The Creative Type

Sunlight seeped through the closed curtains of Ellie's bedroom, landing on her face and slowly waking her up. She reached for her phone that was charging on the nightstand, it read quarter to nine. Sighing, she managed to drag herself from the warmth of her bed.

She pulled up the blinds that covered the window above her bed, looking out at the bustling streets below her apartment. The apartment was nestled in one of the quieter streets of New York City.  It was a standard two-bedroom complex with other basic necessities.

She lived with her twin sister, Brooklyn Miller. The two girls had been attached at the hip since birth, so when they moved out of their parent's place, buying an apartment together was the natural selection.

As close as the two were, they were almost polar opposites. Ellie had spent most of her life as what many would call a wallflower, always having her head in her sketchbook and never one to be involved in anything, unless, of course, it was an art show.

Then there was Brooke, who'd been involved in extracurricular activities since elementary school, never with one for very long, until she took up archery in freshman year. God, when she was in her element, there was no stopping her, she was so good in fact she'd earned herself a few nicknames, her favourites being Legolas and Katniss Everdeen.

Ellie rummaged through her closet, throwing many pastel knit sweaters onto the ground as she tried to find something suitable for work. She worked as a curator at an art gallery in one of the more upper-class areas of New York. The owner of the gallery, Carol, was an older but spunky woman, Ellie figured she was definitely a hippie during her earlier years.

When she'd first applied for the job, Carol had taken a real liking to her artwork, telling her she had the potential to grow immensely in the art industry. Hearing such positive praise from an adult that wasn't her mother or father was a real proud moment for her. But she didn't try to brag about it, ever the humble girl she was.

Eventually, Ellie settled on a sage green mini-skirt with a plain white knitted sweater. Topped off with white sneakers. She glanced at herself in the mirror that was positioned above her dresser, ignoring the tubes of paint, brushes and blank canvas she had yet to use, they were only a sliver of the full extent of her art supplies, which had to be kept in the storage closet because of how tight on space the two girls were.

Turning the handle on her bedroom door, she walked out into the living area that also lead into the kitchen. Not seeing her sister, she rightfully assumed she was still fast asleep. Ellie often envied her sister, for how late she got to sleep in, whereas Ellie was almost always out of the apartment by nine o'clock, Brooke only had to be at the police station before noon most days. 

Ellie grabbed her white shoulder bag from off the coat hanger that rested on the wall by the front door. Opening the door, she pulled her house keys from the bag, rarely taking them out of there, and locked the door behind her. Brooke wouldn't be up for at least another hour anyways.

Stepping out into the world that was New York City, she walked down the streets she knew by heart, having grown up not far from where the apartment lay. Stopping in front of Starbucks, she entered for her daily dose of caffeine, a Grande Iced Latte.

As Ellie waited for the employees to start on her order, she decided to check her Instagram, mostly to see if anything interesting was going on elsewhere in the world. One of the baristas then called her name, pulling her attention away from her phone and indicating that her drink was ready.

Taking a sip out of the cup, humming slightly from the taste she'd grown to adore, she continued down the sidewalk. Whistles and catcalls came her way from ignorant men who clearly were desperate for a quick fuck, not that they would ever admit that.