Yara

My roommate is insane.

Or should I call him Tristan's roommate?

Either way, Filip has a few screws loose. Who sleeps with a penknife? He didn't even apologise for scaring me!

I regret my decision to sleep in the guard's quarters tonight. I am mentally mourning the loss of the softest bed sheets I have ever felt that are only a short way up the hall. Instead I'm traipsing around the palace with my roommate who seems to want to kill me. We are going to find the head guard, who apparently is angry at me, before I go to sleep in the draughty dorms my brother was assigned to.

Is it too late to swap back?

I don't entertain that idea for too long. I would rather suffer than let my brother do the same. I think that's the way it has always been between us; when he starts to struggle, I realise that I can't see him like that. Mother says I coddle him, am too overprotective on her bad days. On her good days, she calls me loyal.

I like those days.

She says I'm her little princess. That I am no damsel in distress and that I can take care of myself. I doubt that, but I like the sentiment. My brother and I complete each other. I can't imagine us being any other way.

I couldn't imagine Tristan blond, either, until he dyed his hair.

I felt a pang of sadness. I couldn't help but fear that this was the end for us. This was us changing. He was always so kind and thoughtful and hard-working and I would follow him to the ends of the earth, no question. We looked after each other. Nowadays I find it much harder to read him. It was the distance between us. Without my other half, I felt so alone.

I thought he had left me.

I knew I was being silly but it wasn't just the physical distance, his letter didn't sound like him. I know that wasn't his fault.

It wasn't his fault.

He didn't leave you.

He didn't leave you.

Mother told me one day - one of the bad days - that I should stop playing his hero, that he was growing up and I should learn to leave him be.

Only I didn't know how.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaddick was more than angry.

He was raging. He was fuming.

He was terrifying.

At first I cowered at the sight of him til he berated me for that too. I stood up straight, keeping eye contact with him, while he harshly criticised my actions. I think my legs were trembling. I couldn't hear all of his words. After a while, I blocked his voice out, only saying 'yes sir' when he took a breath.

The room was lit only by candlelight as if to not alert the palace - if you ask me, Chaddick's voice had done that already.

I left the room with a freshly printed copy of my timetable and got demoted - can you believe it, demoted? - to Selection duty making things very awkward. My schedules now clash. I have to be both Yara and Tristan in the same place at the same time.

This is what I get for missing one post.

I will not be doing that again. I'm going to have to think of ways to escape my selected duties to enact my Selection duty.

To my surprise, Filip is waiting for me outside the room.

"That was pathetic," he began walking to the direction of our room.

Who knew boys could be so rude? Tristan was never like this.

"How awful of me to disappoint you," I respond before falling into step with him.

Filip picked up his pace. "You have one job. Stand still and look stupid and you can't even manage that."

I don't respond. I can't exactly explain what I was really doing. A smile crept over his face.

"I bet a girl could do better! Why don't I run and get one of the selected and we can see who does your job better."

He laughed humorlessly.

If only he knew...

Because of the film I felt like writing something.

I find it funny that Sophie and Yara are judging each other for 'being boys' when neither of them are.

Its so strange to realise just how many more people will experience SGE and read the books and get swept up in the world like we have because of the film.

Does this chapter add anything? Probably not. If all goes to plan the next chapter should be Agatha at breakfast.

Emphasis on should

What did you think of the film?