Sophie

My thighs began to burn on the walk from Graves Hill with Agatha. Have all these climbs thickened my legs? All the princesses in storybooks had the same perfect proportions; thick legs were as unlikely as a crooked nose. I  had to look perfect. I needed to set the bar for princess perfection. When i looked in the mirror this morning, it was like I was already there.

I banished all thoughts of this in case it gave me wrinkles and focused my attention on Agatha. We walked through the town square, past bustling market stalls and street vendors. We were an unusual sight, an ever and a never, walking side by side. This would show everyone I really was princess material, an ever, because who wants snow white, when they can have me?

Agatha and I took a turn past the grand houses of the twos. It would be faster to walk through the slums but Agatha knows I like walking down this road. I am a four, and even I like to enjoy looking in the twos houses and admiring their things. When I am the princess, these people will be the ones in awe of me.

It is no secret that Prince Tedros is 19 and looking for a bride. That's just the way it is in Illéa. The prince must marry a girl of the people that he meets through the selection. One girl from each of the 35 provinces will get the opportunity to meet him and become the princess of Illéa. Even when I was a little girl, watching the report, my mother would tell me I was destined for greater things. Mum was the most beautiful six in Gavaldon. She married up the castes, meaning I get a better chance of meeting my one true love, Prince Tedros. I always thought Sophie Pendragon had a nice ring to it.

Agatha and I make a right turn when we reach Nicola's -a vulgar little girl who I get tutored with- family restaurant. Down a little Forrest path is a little haven we found the first time I talked to Agatha. We went wondering and found this place- now it's like our second home.

Yes, Agatha may have started out as my good deed, but she has turned into so much more.

------------------------------------------------

"Aggie, when I'm princess, will you still visit me?"

This has always bothered me. When I marry Tedros, the people of Illéa may not like their future queen to be friends with a never, but it would be worse if she didn't want to visit.

She flicked another match into the lake.

The sun was setting now, and I could tell something was bothering her. Call it friend intuition.

"Sophie," she began, "how do you know that you're good?"

"Simple, I look in the mirror, and I know."

She pulled out another match.

"My mom wants me to sign up for the selection." I burst out laughing. The thought of Agatha with a boy, let alone a prince,was hysterical. "That's what I thought too. Only she wasn't joking."

I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, Aggie, never change. I'm going to need you to keep me grounded when I become princess. Do what she says though, sign up and you'll make her happy. We both know your odds of being chosen are slim with the amount of girls that sign up."

"Then how do you know you will marry Prince Tedros?"

"Because he's my chance for a bigger life that my mom had. He deserted her for her best friend." I have spoken to Agatha enough for her not to need to ask who he is. My father remarried before her body was even cold. "Tedros is my destiny. He's my happily ever after."

Agatha snorted and I pulled her up.

"Come on. Lets go pack my things together."

"But they haven't even announced the girls on the report. Hell, you can't even hand in your application yet."

"But I need to be prepared. Besides, if you help me pack I will always think of you when I'm at the palace."

"Can't you, I don't know, get some six or seven to help you. They need the money more. My artwork has been selling a lot better recently and my mom and I are okay for know."

"Aggie it will be fun. I'll even take a piece of your work with me and show it to Tedros so he can make you the royal artist."

So we ran back to my house and packed. Agatha helping me - she would always do anything for us. She would do anything to get me to my true love.

-------------------------------------------

"Can you see my glass slippers anywhere?"

Of course, at the palace, I would be provided with everything I needed, but it helped to have a few of my own things. I picked them up from under my bed.

"Do you think I need to have them heeled? I think I need to have them heeled."

In my bag I put in a few of my creams. Imagine if Camelot didn't have enough to cucumbers? They would just simply have to get some more from elsewhere. Maybe even import some from New Asia. Only the expensive stuff though, everything else gives me a rash.

Agatha moved away from my pink suitcase and shuffled across my room. My small room. The one part of a life too small for me. For I needed a role big enough to hold me. And what's bigger than being queen? She picked up my application, them one I filled out moments after recieving it. I had daintily picked up my fountain pen and filled it out.

Name. Sophie of Gavaldon, Ever

Caste. Four

Age. 18

Languages. English. Latin

Talents. Animal summoning

"What am I going to do when you're gone?" Agatha whispered so quietly I almost thought I had imagined it until she turned to me, teary eyed.

I gave her a hug. "Oh Aggie. You will be the most adored Never ever. Once Tedros sees your artwork and hears how much you mean to me, you will surely become the most sought after artist in all of Illéa."

She wiped her eyes on the sleeves of her black top. "Do you really mean that?"

"Of course I do, your so talente-"

"No, about us being friends?"

"Yes of course, why wouldn't I?"

"Because I'm your good deed. What ever is friends with a never?"

"This ever, Agatha. You're not my good deed, you're so much more. You're my best friend."

"I always felt sorry for you, thinking you were only friends with me because no one else would. But Sophie, you are my best friend and I can't lose you."

"You won't lose me. I'm only a phone call away."

She flashed an awkward smile. "I don't have a phone."

"Well," I proclaimed in a posh voice, "once one is queen, it shall become law."

We both laughed and collapsed onto my bed. Maybe everything would be fine. Maybe the people would accept Agatha and i could rule with ease of mind that the people loved me. Maybe happily ever after does exist.