Chapter 1

"COME on in, Nevin," Drew Walter invited, when he saw the familiar female like shape of his Advertising Controller hovering anxiously outside his office door.

"I just arrive earlier," he added, as Nevin did as he was bid, dropping a light kiss on his cheek.

'Yes, I know. I saw you earlier that's why I came hurriedly,' Nevin agreed, too preoccupied to question the almost passionless embrace and his own lack of reaction to it. He and Drew had been going out together for over a year and although Nevin had no doubts about his love for him he acknowledged that it did lack the passionate intensity he had heard discussed among his contemporaries. But this was how he wanted it. With Drew he felt safe; their relationship is as comfortable as a well worn shoe that at time it feels stale. He remove that from his mind and concentrated instead on the news the reason why he is in that office at this moment.

Drew was the controller and one of the shareholders in the independent radio station, he and his team ran from the small market town in Zamboanga, broadcasting throughout the Region 9. Still in its very early infancy, the station had been going through a bad patch lately, with audience ratings dropping at the complaints from their backers who had looked upon the venture as a potential source of unlimited source of income. Nevin thought that tjey habe the choice to choose the shareholders, but he was far too loyal to him about this.

Three weeks ago, he need to go to Manila for a discussion concerning the future of the radio station, with the National  Telecommunication Committee, and it was the results of this discussion that had brought Nevin hot-foot to Drew's office. Passionately dedicated to the success of their venture, he asked anxiously.

'Well, how did it go? Are they going to revoke our license?' Nevin asked Drew

Drew shook his head.

'It's not quite as bad as that,' he assured him.

'Oh, Drew! You managed to persuade them to give us another chance!' He enthuse Drew.

For a moment he seemed about to agree, and then he admitted unhappily,

'It's not me, because of Zion Palmer!' He begrudgingly replied.

'Zion Palmer?' Nevin stared at him. 'How did he become involved? I should have thought the great white wonder of the media was far too lordly to involve himself in our paltry affairs,' he said bitterly.

Zion Palmer had an unparalleled reputation in the world of independent television and radio. Nevin had only seen him in the flesh once. He had been a student at the time and he had visited her college to give a lecture.

He was so excited that time! He had been something of a hero to him in those days. Everyone who knew anything about the media knew of his meteoric rise to fame and fortune. He had started with the Manila Broadcasting Company and then progressed to various independent radio stations before starting up his own channel in Manila and turning it into an overnight success.

Nevin had soon been disillusioned, though. Oh, his lecture had been stimulating enough, and his darkly handsome face and athletic physique had given him a presence it was hard to ignore. However, he had concluded his lecture on a note which Nevin personally thought unwarranted and cheap.

His own interest in advertising had developed while he was still at school, coupled with an enthusiasm for local radio which had led to him wholehearted belief that for the small, local business, there was no better form of advertising, and to this end he was determined to find himself the sort of job that would give free rein to his enthusiasm.

He feels like he was pired over with freezing water when he heard what Zion Palmer said, whose career he had followed with such interest, announce in his crisply autocratic voice that he considered na ang field ng local radio station is for and always will be for male only. For male to lead, handle and manage.