Chapter 16

As if cold water was poured over Nevin, he didn't think he could do what he did. He is no longer a teenager to be impulsive. He can't understand what he did that especially with Zion.

'Nevin,' Zion called him softly as he fix his clothes.

He can't look back to Zion, he is ashamed of himself. He can't look at this car without arousing erotic memories.

'I hate you Zion, how could you be shameless?' he shout at Zion.

'You hate me?' Zion said derisively as he started buttoning up his shirt. 'You've got a damned funny way of showing it. You wanted me, Nevin, whatever you say to the contrary, and you know it. But still you cling to this "love" you claim to have for Drew. Why?' he asked softly. Frustration evident on Zion voice.

Nevin didn't reply. With shaking fingers he fastened his blouse, dismayed by the feeling that flooded through him as he remembered the feel of his mouth against his skin, a deep yearning ache throbbing through him.

What would he say if he told him he clung to Drew because he was frightened of what he was doing to him? Run a mile, probably, he thought derisively. Zion had no compunction about arousing his body, but he wouldn't want any emotional involvement. Perhaps he ought to tell him, he thought wryly. But he couldn't. He couldn't reveal his deep fear of such a commitment to him, not after the way he had just breached his defences.

'No answer?' he prompted. 'Very wise. I meant what I said about obliterating Drew from your mind, Nevin, and every time you mention him and love in the same breath I shall remind you of how very easy it is for me to do what he finds impossible.'

His face flamed. He couldn't help it. He longed to deny that he had aroused him, or to tell him that he and David were lovers, but he knows that would be a lie and Zion knows that he is his first. And if he had doubted him before he did so no longer. He had the power to make him feel desire. But desire was not love, he reminded himself, and mere sexual appeasement no part of what he wanted from life.

'I should imagine it's possible for any experienced male to get some sort of reaction, especially when the other...'

'Got less knowledge about the sex than it would take to cover a postage stamp?' Zion furiously retorted Nevin. 'Sure-it's possible.'

After that, mercifully, he turned away from him, starting the engine, leaving him to cope with his disturbed senses alone.

Why did he have the power to make him feel like this? he asked himself bitterly, trying to concentrate on the scenery, but all that he could think of was his own betraying response to his calculated assault upon his senses, his face flaming anew as he remembered his abandoned reaction.

'Aren't we stopping for refreshment?' he asked him awkwardly, trying to dispel the memory.

Zion glanced at the clock on the dashboard and shook his head. 'Our slight altercation seems to have affected my appetite-for food at least. Why, are you hungry?'

'Not particularly. I'm just thirsty.' Replied Nevin. He can't fathom Zion's mood right now, he is so angry after he deliberately belittle what happened to them.

He refused to look at him. In point of fact he had never felt less like food. His stomach was churning with all the efficiency of a high speed electric mixer, and to much the same effect. The thought of food was totally nauseating. It came to him on a wave of dismay that he wanted nothing quite so much as the peace and quiet of his own room so that he could indulge in a good cry, which was most unlike him-in fact he could not remember when he had last cried, and it certainly hadn't been over a man!

Zion on the other hand had never looked more self-possessed. Nevin watched him out of the corner of his eye, noticing small unimportant things about him, such as the way his lean fingers held the steering wheel, the powerful thrust of his thigh muscles whenever he changed gear. Hastily he averted his eyes, forcing himself to relax.