32. An Ode to the Dead

We've been moving as nomads for the last week, stopping for no longer than twelve hours at any given place

We've been moving as nomads for the last week, stopping for no longer than twelve hours at any given place. It's even harder to find sleep between scavenging, taking care of the kids, and being alert for Walkers at any given time, especially when the babies cry. I regret leaving the bus, but it had been just us before. We'd adjust. It's the same threat. Nothing has changed.

"There's a place of peace and sanctuary at Terminus...all are welcome..."

"Sounds like a fucking cult," I say, turning off the radio. No way in hell we are going to another group. Not for another decade, if we survive that long.

"I'm thinking that maybe we should leave Georgia. Try to make it up to maybe the woods up North. We used to have family up and Michigan. That seems like a good place."

I shake my head. "No. That's way too far. Plus, water supplies freeze up there. We cannot get caught up in their winters there. It's why Mama moved us all down here." Cash begins to fuss, and as she recently ate, it's probably due to needing a diaper change.

"I got it, Mom," Tiff says, grabbing my bag. I thank her, leaning back into my seat, and dozing off for a few minutes.

"Lilly! Get up!"

I jolt awake, looking around at the dark surroundings. How long did I sleep?

"Milly, we should've found shelter already!" I panic, quickly unbuckling my seatbelt. "How are we on gas?"

"Low," she whispers as if she's going to cry. I want to blame her, though. I have always been the survivor, taking care of her daughter and mother-in-law because she was too weak to do so. I should've known she couldn't handle this. Now, we have two additional babies compared to back then.

"Tiff, come with me. Bring your weapons. We are going to scout for a place. When we find one, we will come back and get you to drive there."

Milly nods, watching us leave the car. I don't spare a glance back at her.

"Don't be upset with Aunt Milly, Mom," Tiff whispers after a few minutes of silence.

"I put my kids' lives into her hands. This is why I don't count on people. They let you down, repeatedly." I shush her when she goes to talk again. I need to stay alert and her blabbing only disrupts that.

We continue on, sneaking up on Walkers with axes and knives, not wanting to attract any more dead.

"Mom, look!" Tiff points at a farmhouse with a candle burning in the window.

"It's occupied. Let's keep looking."

She ignores me, heading to the building. I groan, following the stubborn teenager. Her fist knocks on the door lightly. I ready my weapon, in case these are cannibals.

"Tiff?"

"Ty?"

The two hug each other as I'm lowering my gun. I follow behind them, noticing Tyreese isn't alone.