15. The Deal

"Why don't you come out of there?" I ask, my gun raised next to Daryl

"Why don't you come out of there?" I ask, my gun raised next to Daryl. The inmates slowly come out of the kitchens.

"Slow and steady," Daryl says.

"What happened to him?" the one asks about Hershel.

"He got bit," Daryl answers, his crossbow not wavering.

"Bit?" the man clarifies, pulling a gun out.

"Better put that back in your pants," I tell him, my aim directly on his forehead. He doesn't comply and T-Dog comes up next to me for support.

"Who the hell are you guys anyway?" the man that I've pegged as their leader says.

"Doesn't look like a rescue team," the redhead mutters underneath his mustache.

"If a rescue team is what you're waiting for, don't!" Rick yells, trying to lift Hershel up. "C'mon, let's go! I need a hand now!"

I keep my gun trained on the men, allowing the others to go to his aid. I couldn't let these men jeopardize the group.

"What's your name?" I ask the leader, sneering slightly.

"Andrew."

I don't offer my name, backing away slowly as the others open the door. I don't want to get separated and left with these men either. Thankfully, Daryl is still next to me, his own crossbow raised.

"C'mon, let's go you two," T-Dog yells out to us and we turn, rushing out behind him.

We get back to the group, Beth the first to go hysterical.

"Daddy!"

"He got bit," Daryl tells them as they help Hershel onto the bed.

"Maybe you got it in time," Lori says and it's what we all are hoping for currently.

"Is he going to die?" Beth asks, sobbing as she looks at the stump left behind. Milly pulls her into a side hug, ushering her away from the gruesome scene. The two definitely had a bond, despite the age gap between them.

I follow Daryl back through the metal doors, shutting them behind me. I put my gun up, listening to the approaching footsteps. I knew they'd follow us and apparently so did Daryl, as he's already prepared to shoot them with bolts.

"That's far enough," Daryl says, his voice scary low and menacing. He is a wolf protecting his pups and he's ready to kill.

"Cell Block C, cell four. That's mine, gringo. Let me in," Andrew says, sauntering closer to us.

"I think you don't understand how the world works anymore. Nothing is yours anymore once someone takes it," I mutter, flicking the safety off.

"What you got going on in there?"

"It ain't none of your concern," Daryl says, his finger inching closer to the trigger. 

Andrew goes for his waist. "Don't be telling me what's my concern."