5 | moving conversations

Before Millie and Jake had even set foot on the front steps, Ava was swinging the front door open.

"Welcome home, lovebirds!" She said with a massive smile on her face.

It felt good for Millie to see her little sister so happy. "Thanks, Ave."

"You bring your suits?"

"It's a bit cloudy, "Millie said, looking up at the sky, "But yes." She opened her bag to show Ava the evidence, "We're ready for anything."

"Oi! Mate!" Charlie came around the door, "Jake, it's been ages!"

Jake laughed excitedly, "You've been in California, dude, can't put that on me."

"I can, and I will. . . blame my conniving ex, that is." he smirked.

It was good to see Charlie smiling, too. He'd been married almost seven years and had two kids that his ex was currently in full custody of. It broke Millie's heart to see her brother so torn to pieces, as he usually was these days, but this afternoon at least, he seemed alright. He seemed more himself. He seemed happy.

But those kids. Her niece and nephew. She knew her brother couldn't go long without seeing them, and really, she enjoyed seeing them a couple times a year herself. Little Thomas, just six years old, with his sister, Ginny, the ever-adventurous four year old always trying to be his mini-me. Though they were much closer in age than Millie and Charlie, they reminded her so much of them. It hurt her to know that they weren't with their father. Just one of the many reasons she thought it was smart to make sure that people married for the right reasons. When kids get in the mix, and then the parents divorce, it could create so much undue hardship. She wanted to ensure that whenever she had kids, that she would have them with her forever person. No matter if her children were adopted or biological. She never wanted any child of hers to have to suffer separated from a parent, or with parents that were angry and hurt all the time because of the other parent. It happened a lot with people in her industry, but she would be damned if it happened to her.

Walking through the house, Millie noticed how almost all the personal touches that made this place feel like home were gone. She knew the realtor had been working on staging, but this was staggering. It felt like her home had disappeared. It didn't matter that she hadn't lived here in years, it was still 'home' in her mind. Only, now it wasn't. Framed photos were missing. Family heirlooms de-thrones and replaced with decorative boxes and faux flowers.

She stood at the kitchen island where her mother, Kelly, was preparing some hors devours, and watched as Jake and Charlie turned into teenagers, running and cannonballing into the pool.

"You two seem to be getting on well." Her mother observed.

Millie scrunched her forehead, "Why wouldn't we be?"

Placing the finishing touches on a cheese plate, Kelly raised her brows, "Did your sister not bring you that box?"

"She did." Millie said, not completely catching the meaning.

"And that didn't. . .spur anything?"

Rolling her eyes now that she understood, Millie sighed, "What, you thought that box would enter my home and I'd immediately share the contents with my boyfriend?"

"Fiancé." Her mother corrected.

"Right." Millie said, trying not to look too deep into the slip.

Her mother eyed her in silence, then Ava walked up, "Oof, that's some heavy air between you two."

Millie looked at her sister, "I hope you are here to change that." and then she threw a warning look to her mother. This was why she didn't come home as often. She didn't like the judgment that always rolled her way.