Chapter 1: Just Your Average Day

Lots of dirt.

Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

Minerva tumbled down the hill; running into bushes and trees, spiderwebs and branches, all the typical things you would run into after tripping down a slope in a dense forest. She reached the bottom and groaned, pushing off of the ground with her sweaty palms.

Above her, the sound of search dogs grew louder and Minerva scowled.

She'd been here for less than a day and they already found her. Wasn't rolling around in mud supposed to cover her scent?

Minerva rolled her eyes and turned around, running away from the search party. Of course they found her. There was no way she'd ever be lucky enough to escape when the entire U.S. army was wrapped around her grandfather's finger.

But come on! At least 24 hours of peace and quiet! Was that too much to ask for?

Minerva spotted a stream up ahead and dove into it, trying desperately to bury herself beneath it's waters. She looked over the edge cautiously until the search party got closer, then she ducked her head beneath the water and held tight.

All she could hear was the sound of the water flowing and her own, cynical thoughts. For a moment, that nothingness seemed like an eternity and Minerva thought she got away.

That was until a dog jumped onto her back.

Immediately, Minerva rose from the water, covered in mud, leaves, and spiderwebs. A small group of soldiers were looking at her in exasperation, completely unimpressed.

Minerva shoved the dog off. "Back off, Charles."

"His name isn't Charles." One of the soliders pointed out.

Minerva shrugged. "Close enough."

"To Ace?"

Minerva glared at the traitorous animals and then looked at the soldier who appeared to be in charge.

"You know, if you let me go, I-"

He grabbed her arm. "Bribery won't get you anywhere."

Minerva sighed. "I'm guessing 'please' won't either?"

He shook his head.

Begrudgingly, Minerva followed them back up the slope and toward civilization. Her shoes sloshed noisily with every step, which made sense, considering Minerva was soaking wet and looked like giant, floating, mud puddle.

They led her to a fancy car and Minerva cringed as she sat down, no doubt ruining the seat forever. Although, it was honestly their fault. She didn't want to be in the car in the first place.

"Ms. Bryce." The leading soldiers sat across from her in the back and took off his hat, revealing cropped black hair and brown eyes. "This is the fifth attempt this month. That's one attempt per week."

Minerva smiled. "It could be the last if you'd let me go."

He sighed and rubbed his temples. "You know, some people would kill for a life like yours. You should be grateful."

"Would you?"

The man paused, before shaking his head. "You just need to be patient. Eventually, you will be old enough to-"

"I'm fourteen." Minerva crossed her arms. "If I'm not old enough to make my own decisions by now, I never will be."

"I remember being fourteen." He told her. "I understand having to live up to expectations you can't meet. It's hard, but-"