Chapter 3: A Memorable First Day

Begin

~Normal POV

4/12 - Tuesday

"More weird dreams..." Yu mumbled, as he sat up in his futon.

Maybe he should see a doctor or something. He didn't know what these dreams meant or why he was having them. All he knew was that it was a pain. He shook his head, and stood up. It was just a nightmare. Those are normal, they don't mean anything. He grabbed his uniform and went to take a shower. After getting dressed, he went downstairs to find Nanako had breakfast ready for the two of them; she made plates of eggs, toast, and sausages. Dojima must not have come home last night since he was nowhere to be seen.

"Good morning," Nanako greeted, brightly.

Yu yawned and stretched. "Morning... Did you make all this yourself?"

She nodded proudly. "I can toast bread. And cook sunny-side up eggs. Dad can't cook, so I buy dinner." She sat down to start eating. "You're starting school today, right? My school's on the way, so let's go together."

Yu smiled and joined her at the table. She looked eager to have his company today. How could he say no to that?

~...

It was raining today, so the two of them had to use umbrellas. Inaba seemed like the kind of place where it would rain a lot, unfortunately. Nanako led him to the Samegawa Flood Plain, next to the Samegawa River, she told him how to get to his school from there and then walked off the other way to get to hers.

On his way down the path, none of the other students paid him any mind, despite him being new. He did find one very amusing sight of a guy trying to ride a bike and hold an umbrella at the same time. Poor guy crashed his bike into somebody's trash cans as Yu was passing him.

"Ouch... Better leave him alone. I doubt he wants any pity." Yu thought, walking past him without stopping.

~...

Upon arriving at Yasogami High, Yu met with the principal briefly before being introduced to his homeroom teacher. Of all the things he'd been expecting at his new school, this teacher was not one of them. His name was Mr. Morooka, the philosophy teacher, and he was definitely not friendly. He was a short man with a slouched posture, a tacky blue pinstripe suit, and a very angry disposition.

"Follow me, and we'll get you introduced to the class- and hurry your ass up! We ain't got all day!"

Yu followed Mr. Morooka into the classroom. By this point it appeared everyone had arrived already.

"Alright, shut your traps!" Mr. Morooka shouted, upon reaching his teaching podium. Everyone who had been conversing quickly stopped and turned their attention to him. "I'm Kinshiro Morooka, your homeroom teacher from today forward! First things first! Just cause it's spring doesn't mean you can swoon over each other like love-struck baboons. Long as I'm around, you students are gonna be pure as the driven snow!"

Yu side-eyed him amusedly. "Yeah, I'm sure you'll have so much control over that..."

"Now, I hate wasting my time, but I'd better introduce this transfer student." He jabbed a finger in Yu's direction. "This sad sack's been thrown from the big city out to the middle of nowhere like yesterday's garbage. And he's just as much of a loser here as he was there, so you girls better not get any ideas about hitting on him! Tell 'em your name, kid, and make it quick."

Yu contemplated for a moment. This teacher felt the need to make fun of him? Normally, he wouldn't do such a thing, but he simply had to say something.

"...You calling me a loser?"