Chapter 52: The Second Letter

Begin

~Normal POV

11/4 - Friday

The last couple days had been rather peaceful. Aside from the various comments that were circulating around about the festival, everyone was in good spirits again. Like that sleepover at the inn had cleansed their worries, even for a moment. Nanako really enjoyed spending time with the girls. They'd have to do it again someday. And Yu wouldn't soon forget that special moment out in the garden he had with Rise. Just thinking about it made him feel like he was on cloud nine.

But it started raining again today. That was a mood killer. Yu had ensured everyone was paying special attention to the news lately. But there hadn't been any sign of a potential victim. No special interviews or anything. Yu did see a report from some politician who went to Nanako's school to ask questions about the fog issue. But there was no footage shown of the interviews. And the story itself wasn't helpful to them. They didn't know anything about the damn fog either.

That night, Yu checked the Midnight Channel as usual. He was alarmed to find an image on the screen. But it looked blurrier than usual. The only thing he could see was that the person was... very small. There were no other noticeable features. He quickly answered when his phone rang. It was Yosuke calling again this time.

"Hey- did you see that?!" Yosuke said, frantically. "It was really blurry, but you saw someone on the screen, right?"

"I did see it..." Yu answered, "But all I could tell was that they're really short."

"Damn it! Is there gonna be another kidnapping?"

"I think so- we'll talk more tomorrow."

~...

11/5 - Saturday

Since it was raining a second day in a row, everyone was now getting worried. This was usually the time when another kidnapping would happen. After getting through another school day, they hurriedly met up with Teddie at the Junes food court. They found a table with an awning to get out of the pouring rain. It was supposed to turn into a bad thunderstorm tonight too...

"I watched the Midnight Channel last night, as you suggested," Naoto said, frowning. "To think a master of deduction and evidence would strain her eyes over an urban legend like this... And yet- I definitely saw someone."

"We all did..." Yu said, worriedly.

"Could any of you tell who it was?" Yosuke asked.

"From a fuzzy picture like that? No way," Kanji replied.

"How about the regular tv?" Yukiko asked, "Has anyone become famous around here lately?"

"I can't think of any offhand..." Naoto answered, "I suppose there was that politician who visited to quell the rumors about the fog. His statement was read on tv... But the chances of him being the one are slim. He returned to the city immediately after his inquiry."

Teddie made a noise like he was thinking hard about something.

"What's the matter," Yosuke said, "Oh yeah- they stuck you with the midnight shift for falling asleep on the beds in housewares. I told you to use the tv in the electronics department. Did you remember to check it out?"

"How rude! I made a promise with Nanako-chan and I'm serious about living!" Teddie said, "From what I saw... wasn't the person on tv last night pretty small?"

"Yeah, they were..." Yu said, "It was all I could see too. Do you sense anyone inside yet?"

"Nope. No one's come so far."