Chapter 14: Spying on Kanji's Date

Begin!

~Normal POV

5/17 - Tuesday

After school, the gang went to the front gates. The four managed to put themselves into a suitable hiding spot to watch the entrance by hiding in the bushes behind a stone fence. Earlier they had Yosuke check on Kanji in the hallways by discreetly following him. (A much easier task this time around because of all the other students wandering the halls. Nobody would look twice at where you're going.) Apparently, the promise of meeting with his little friend was enough to get him to actually show up to school.

"Target arrived in-zone near the end of his mess break, with mother-issued rations in hand." Yosuke said, confidently.

"And where did you last see him," Yu asked.

"Current status: in the bathroom, fixing his hair." Yosuke replied, "The target was acting nervous. I left my position before he had a chance to pick on me!"

Yu checked the time on his phone. "He'll probably show up soon."

"Any sign of shorty," Yosuke asked.

"Not yet..." Chie replied, watching the path leading up to the gates.

"I wonder what kind of plans they made," Yukiko said, curiously. "It didn't seem like he knew that boy very well."

Chie shrugged, turning to look her way. "Who knows? Maybe they're just gonna talk- Oh, shit, there's Kanji!"

They went quiet and ducked back to observe. Kanji approached the gates from the front doors. He was looking around cautiously to ensure nobody was there. He looked relieved to be alone. Thankfully, most of the students had gone home already. He walked over to one side of the gates to wait. (Of course, he picked the side that was closer to their hiding spot, making them more than a little nervous.)

A few moments later they spotted the blue-hatted stranger walking up the path. He looked calm as ever, like he was accustomed to meetings like this every day. Just before reaching the gate, he paused to lightly finger-comb his hair under his hat, and then proceeded on as normal. He walked up to Kanji without hesitation. (Kanji seemed surprised to see him actually show up, too. He must have thought he wouldn't.)

"I didn't keep you waiting, I hope?" The shorter boy said, greeting Kanji with a polite smile.

Kanji faltered for a moment before replying. "No, I-I just got here too..."

"Good, shall we then?"

Kanji nodded sheepishly and the two walked off together down the path. Once they were far enough away, the four teens climbed out of the bushes to watch them. It seemed they hadn't been noticed.

"Shorty sure is confident." Yosuke commented. "How the hell is he not scared of him?"

"That's not important," Yu replied. "What matters is we need to tail them. Ok- let's split up. Yosuke, Chie, you two follow them. And make sure neither of them see you. Yukiko and I will stake out the textile shop just in case anybody suspicious comes looking for Kanji."

"Got it- shit, they're almost outta sight-" Chie grabbed Yosuke by the arm and dragged him along with her to follow their targets.

Once they were gone, Yukiko gave Yu a questioning look and asked. "...Why did you send the loud ones to do the spying?"

"Because if we're the subtle ones then it'll be easier to stake out the shop," Yu answered, smirking.

"Ah. Good point."

~...

Yosuke and Chie were having a pretty tough time following Kanji and his friend as they walked. The flood plain path had very few trees or bushes to hide behind. But so far they had managed. They could see the two were talking, but from their distance it was impossible to hear any of it. And trying to get closer, even with a cover story, would be out of the question. Yu had expressly warned them not to be seen by either of them. It was one thing to be afraid of Kanji's wrath, but they had no clue how his companion would take their spying. Worst case scenario, they'd get the cops called on them. Subtlety was key in this delicate situation.