Chapter 20: The School Campout

Begin!

~Normal POV

6/17 - Friday

Today was the first day of the Yasogami school campout. It was apparently for first and second year students, so the whole gang would be able to go. It had been a quiet few days waiting for it. Aside from taking Kanji into the tv world with them, to show him the ropes, there wasn't much to do other than wait for a break in the case. And it hadn't rained at night yet. So far, everything was peaceful again.

When Yu first heard about the camping trip, it had sounded exciting. They'd get to sleep in tents and cook their own food at the picnic area. There was even a river near the campsite where they were supposedly allowed to swim. But this excitement was shut down very fast. Chie and Yukiko explained that the trip was actually an excuse to force students to pick up litter off a mountain. Yosuke was the most disappointed by this- since it was his first time going too. Yu wasn't as shocked though. With King Moron as their supervising teacher, it'd be damn near impossible to have any real fun anyway. But at least the four of them would be in the same group together.

After a long and tedious day of picking up other people's trash, Yu and Yosuke weren't feeling much better about the trip. Not only was the labor a chore, they had to deal with King Moron shouting at everyone and criticizing every little thing. They envied Kanji for having a different homeroom teacher. Right now, Chie and Yukiko were cooking curry for the four of them, while the two boys were seated at a picnic table.

"Ugh... picking up all that trash was murder on my back..." Yosuke whined.

"And the yelling gave me a fucking headache..." Yu added rubbing his temples.

"I can't believe someone threw away an entire bike." Yosuke said, "Damn it, litterers should have to deal with their own garbage..."

"That would kinda defeat the point, I guess."

Yosuke tried to perk himself back up. "Man, I'm starving. Hope the food's ready soon." He grinned brightly. "Dude, the girls cooked just for us! Not that I expect much outta Chie, but Yukiko's got the full tradition of the Amagi Inn behind her food. You know it's gonna be out of this world!"

Yu gave him a wary look. Yesterday he was taken to Junes by the girls to buy ingredients. And the way he heard them talking about how they were gonna make it... it didn't give him any confidence in how this was gonna turn out. Damn, he'd been spending too much time with Igor, he was starting to get good at this prediction thing.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up too much..." He said, carefully.

Meanwhile, the girls were standing over their pot of curry looking unsure. They had used up all their ingredients, so they weren't able to try again... even though they probably should.

"Should we... taste this?" Yukiko asked, nervously.

"Huh? Only if you do it first..." Chie replied.

They shared a look and scooped some curry onto a couple plates and took it over to the table. It certainly looked like curry... or at least it was close enough.

"Sorry for the wait!" Chie said, as they set the food down. "Um... we put a lot of love into it!"

"Really? That's kinda clichéd, but still awesome!" Yosuke said. He eagerly took a spoonful and put it in his mouth.

"Nice knowing you, bro." Yu thought, as he watched in horror at Yosuke not listening to his advice.

Near instantly, Yosuke's cheery disposition vanished. He turned green in the face and started gagging repeatedly. He then collapsed onto the table after spitting his bite out onto the ground. Before they could figure out if he was ok, he sat back up and turned to the girls in a fit of rage.