Chapter Twenty-two

It's been a week since Theo's rut and Demi was happy to say that the bruises and bite marks were finally fading. The only one that wasn't, was the bite mark in the spot between his shoulder and throat. The mating mark. Demi has been going back and forth all week debating if he made the right choice in fully mating Theo.

He liked Theo, there was no doubt about it. But love? Did he love Theo? They hated each other for so long that Demi felt like love was a long way away in their relationship.

Demi fingered at the spots along his neck as he stared at himself in Theo's bathroom mirror. He's practically taken up residence in Theo's space. Sleeping in Theo's bed with him, swapping clothes like it's second nature. As of right now, Theo was lying in their bed wearing one of Demi's hoodies. All snuggled up in his scent. But he wasn't any better. He's wearing one of Theo's t-shirts and a pair of his sweats.

"Demi? You okay?" Demi held his groan of annoyance from escaping his mouth as he rolled his eyes at himself in the mirror. Theo has become increasingly tiring. After his rut, he's been nice, sweet, and obsessively clingy.

If Demi was out of his eyesight for more than five minutes, he dropped whatever he was doing and came to look for him. He's learned all of Demi's hiding places around the manor by that point.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute." He heard a whine come from the other side, then footsteps as Theo retreated from the door. He had a meeting with Jones and his men in a couple of hours and Demi knew for a fact that he would have to go with his dragon. He's been going with him to every meeting all week. There at the manor or his office in the city.

Demi sighed as he finally left the bathroom and smiled a little to see Theo waiting on him. The man was sitting on their bed, crossed-legged while he had been staring at the door. Theo lifted his arms in an invitation to be held and he looked so damn adorable, Demi didn't have the heart to refuse him.

"Did you miss me, pup?" He asked as he walked to Theo, nudging their heads together and he plopped down in his dragon's lap. Arms resembling that of an octopus wrapped around and held on tight. Demi has been calling Theo 'pup' since his rut and now he even responds to it.

"Yes. Missed you a lot." He said, nuzzling his face in Demi's throat. His hot tongue licked at the mating mark that sat there. Demi shivered and pushed Theo's head away. They needed to get ready for his meeting. They didn't have time for sex. Besides Demi didn't feel comfortable doing it with Theo after he woke up from a nightmare.

They had gone to bed late last night after a romp in-between the sheets and slept in this morning. Theo had of course woken up from a nightmare. He never told Demi what they were about and Demi didn't want to push him.

It took two hours for Theo to calm down enough to where Demi was able to slip the hoodie over the other man's head and go to the bathroom. He needed to pee. He knew Theo would be okay when he left because his dragon was swaddled in Demi's scent.

"Okay, that's enough, pup. You need to get ready for your meeting." Demi had to shove Theo off of him and leave his lap so the man could get up and move.

"I'm going downstairs to get some coffee. Would you like some?" He looked over at Theo who pouted at him but gave a sullen nod as an answer. He kissed Theo's lips before promising him that Demi would be right back.

"If you're still gone by the time I'm done showering and getting dressed, then I'll come to look for you." And Demi did not doubt that for a minute. He hasn't just become clingy, Theo has also gotten more possessive.

"Okay. I'll be back before you know it pup." With another kiss, Demi left their room. He went downstairs and talked to River while he made two to-go cups of coffee for him and Theo. He knew exactly how Theo liked his coffee as he was tasked with making it every day for the man when he first got there. It was a part of the chores that he had to do. Now Demi just does it because he likes to.

"Good afternoon, Demitri." Demi rolled his eyes again. Yes, he and River have grown close but the bear still refuses to call him by his nickname.

"Good afternoon to you too. Where are the kids?" He glanced at the two highchairs that the children usually occupied and was puzzled at why they were empty.

"Oh, Quinn has them. Now that Theodore isn't going into the office as early as he use to, Quinn has more time to spend with them. They love having their daddy around." Demi thought that that was tooth-rotting sweet. He smiled at the man as he put lids on the cups.

"I'm glad to help." He laughed a little as River rolled his eyes and tried to smack him with the spatula he was holding.

"Here," River said and handed Demi two wrapped, very warm things of food. Demi tilted his head at him in question.

"They're breakfast burritos. Thought you and Theodore would like them. It's better than stopping at some fast food chain to grab a bite to eat." The cheeky smile Demi was sporting instantly became soft at the sentiment of River's actions.

"Thank you. I'm going to leave them here with our coffee so I can go get dressed. We shouldn't be too much longer." He set his goodies down on the bar of the kitchen and went back upstairs so he could get ready.

Demi walked into the bedroom right as Theo was walking out of it. They knocked heads with a wince from both of them. That was probably the only bad thing about being almost as tall as his Alpha.

"Sorry. I came up to get dressed." He mumbled and walked past Theo into the bedroom. Theo followed him like a lost little puppy. And the man wonders why Demi calls him 'pup'.

Demi got ready in record time. They went downstairs together, grabbed their breakfast and coffee, and waited for Quinn to say goodbye to River and the kids. Three hours later they were in Theo's office with about ten of Jones' men and Jones sitting across from Theo's desk.

Theo sat in his comfy-looking office chair as Demi stood beside him. The picture of perfect obedience. The perfect Omega. One that every Alpha would love to have. He didn't pay attention to what they were talking about, too lost in his head. He wanted some more coffee.

Demi didn't want to interfere in the meeting, so he went to walk away from Theo's side to get them both more coffee. The tired set of Theo's shoulders and the black circles under his golden eyes warranted a refill. Demi swirled around at the puppy dog whine that Theo let out. Right in front of everyone.

Demi's heart rate spiked in fear and he went back to Theo, who had gotten out of his seat to follow him. Jones and his men stared at them with questioning looks. Demi could see Jones' eyes spark with interest at the small whimper.

"Sorry. He's off his meds." Demi stood beside Theo as the dragon stared down at him. Confusion was clearly written on his face.

"But I'm not on any med- Ow!" Theodore whined as Demi discreetly pinched his side. He then smiled pleasantly at Jones and his men, before he whispered in Theo's ear.

"You will be if you don't stop acting like this." Theo leaned into his side and whispered back to him.

"But where were you going?" Demi sighed, still smiling as if to fend off Jones' smirking glare. Like he knew what was going on with Theo.

"To get more coffee. Now sit back down and finish your meeting. I'll be right back." He kind of pushed the dragon away from him before Theo tried to cuddle. This was not the time to look weak. Not in front of Jones.

Demi gave Theo a hand signal for five minutes and left the office. Fucking hell that was nerve-wracking. Demi should have known better than to just leave Theo like that.

All he could hope for was that Jones didn't eat up the chance to use this weakness against them.