Chapter One

18th Jan 2017

It was about 11:45 in the night, Adwetha called Arnav. 'I need to talk to you. It's important. I will share my location. See you there.' Adwetha said it all in one breath and disconnected the call before he could speak anything. Arnav immediately headed to where she was.

He reached the spot in just five minutes but there was no sign of anybody there. He turned around and saw an arrow which directed towards his right. Also, there was a note which read
Follow the arrows. There is a surprise waiting for you.
It did not take him much time to identify that it is Adwetha's writing. There were a series of arrows. He followed them. The last arrow directed him towards a beautifully decorated gazebo. The moment he stepped on it, hundreds of string lights lit the whole mandapam.

Hundreds of photographs were hung to wires wound to columns. They were pictures of him and Adwetha. He felt those pictures were mini versions of his life because Adwetha had been with him his entire life. For a moment, Arnav drifted back in time. As small children, they played together and had a lot of fun. Even as grownups, they were always together and supported each other.
The sound made by Adwetha's feet as she came walking towards him made him return to the present, such was the silence. Arnav did a one eighty and there she was all dressed up and gorgeous. She was wearing a full-length red dress. Her long untied hair danced to the rhythm of the blowing wind. The kohl she had applied beautified her already beautiful eyes. Her eyes were glowing like stars on her lotus like face. Anybody could stand for hours looking at her eyes, which spoke a million words even when she didn't.

'Remember this day?' Adwetha asked.

'Of course, on this day 14 years ago I met a devil named Adwetha.' Arnav teased.

'But on this day 14 years ago, I received my life's best gift from god.' Adwetha told with a smile on her face.

'What's all this?' Arnav asked pointing at the photographs and the décor.
Adwetha slowly lifted her head and looked him in the eyes 'I have heard people say that as time passes, we forget our past especially our childhood.' Adwetha spoke, her voice soft, like a dew drop on a tender grass. 'But ever since I met you, I haven't forgotten even a single moment that we spent together because you made them so special for me. You know, you are the first person after my mom and dad with whom I share everything. You were always with me when I needed you.'

'I will always be with you.' Arnav corrected.

'Okay, you are always with me when I need you.' she continued without the slightest change in her tone. 'Arnav, I'm lucky to have you in my life. I couldn't ask for a better friend. You are just the perfect friend everyone wishes to have in their life.' Arnav could not understand what she wanted to convey exactly but he did not wish to interrupt her because he could sense that it was not her speaking to him but her heart.
'I know that you know me better than anyone else. And I also know that you know I do not hide anything from you but from the past few days, I have been hiding something from you Arnav. I haven't disclosed to you that...I have fallen in love with you. Yes, I love you. Of course till date we have loved each other as friends but now I want to be your life partner. Will you marry me?'
Arnav had never thought that Adwetha had such feelings for him. He did not know what to tell her and stood there like a rock - his lips motionless and his face expressionless.

Unable to bare the silence, Adwetha said 'I know it would be utter foolishness to expect you to see me the way I you but I want it to be clear...I want our relationship to be clear. Even if it is a no, I want to know it. I won't say that I will die if you do not accept my love but if you say yes, I will be the happiest person ever.' She kept her fingers crossed, hoping that he would say yes.

Arnav did not know what to tell her. Words failed to come out of his throat. 'Not only you Adwetha but even I remember every moment I spent with you. Even I feel lucky to have you in my life as a friend...nothing more, nothing less. You know the way you proposed, no one can reject but I just don't want to change the status of our relationship' alas Arnav spoke breaking the silence and her heart. 'I can never imagine something else between us except friendship. You are a really beautiful person Adwetha, inside and out but I simply can't accept your proposal. I am sorry. I don't love you in that way'.
Though he saw tears rolling down like pearls on her face, he left her and walked away not knowing how to console her.

As Arnav said, Adwetha was truly beautiful both on the inside and out. If it were anybody else in his place, they would have taken advantage of the situation and played with Adwetha's emotions but not Arnav. That is what made him him. He said whatever he felt. He did not want to suffer again by hiding his emotions.
.
.
.
Why? Why did Arnav reject Adwetha's proposal? Who can say no to such a wonderful girl? Would you say no if your childhood bestie proposed you?

Vote
Comment
Share