Chapter Eleven

Henrick awakens three hours after Asch's attempt to cauterize his wound, seemingly unaware of the burn on his leg. Asch isn't sure why it took longer than it should have for the hot metal to stop the bleeding. It was almost like she hadn't warmed the blade enough. Since she used her fire to heat up the blade, Asch knows that that is not the reasoning. Especially since the blade practically melted from the intensity of it.

Part of her would like to know how long they can go without mentioning the desperate measure they had taken. She wants to know if the man will even notice the fact that he is no longer bleeding.

Asch lacks an explanation for how he could not notice these details. Rosetta described the pain of a burn as an aching sensation. One that can come and go, but is always noticeable when touched.

Rain sluices the sides of the carriage. It moistens the air, frizzing Asch's hair. Every few minutes, a roll of thunder shakes the Earth. At some point it had spooked off their horses, whose attachments had loosened during the attack. Asch was the one to discover their absence, moments before the rain began to pour. Without their horses, they truly are stranded in the middle of the woods.

If it weren't for the rain, Asch would be outside searching for food. None of them have eaten since yesterday morning and, if Henrick's prediction is to be believed, they will not be found for another couple of days. With August and Henrick injured, they need to keep their strength and energy as best as possible.

Would Asch be able to brave the rain? Unlike her companions, she won't grow cold due to the weather. They may find that suspicious, however. She no longer has the excuse of residual adrenaline to explain why she is not cold.

"This storm doesn't want to let up," August observes. His eyes are practically glued to the carriage window. Concern is painted all over his face, creasing his forehead with lines.

Rain is the least of their concerns. There are so many other problems that they should be worrying about. It almost makes Asch want to laugh that August is so focused on the rain.

Resting her head on her shoulder, Asch closes her eyes. A soft sigh leaves her lips. "At least we'll have water to drink," she comments.

August presses his lips against the crown of her head. "There might be a few snacks stowed away somewhere in here," he states. "Unless there is a servant back at the palace that does not know how to do their job."

Somehow, this is the most relaxed she has been in a while. Though they are stranded and are limited in their resources, Asch's body is physically relaxed. "That's alright," she murmurs. "I'm not that hungry."

Across from the pair, Henrick snorts. The sound draws the princess's attention, making her give the guard an annoyed, tried look. "Tell that to your stomach. I am certain that any creature in a ten mile radius can hear the sound."

As if to prove his point, Asch's stomach growls. Hunger tightens a grip around her, giving her a slight headache.

"He's right, darling," August claims. The vibrations from his voice feels good to Asch. It eases her headache ever so slightly, lifting some of the fog that's misting through her mind. "You need to eat something."

Whatever food they do have will be small. Nothing filling. Nothing that will really do the job. August will give it all to her, leaving himself and Henrick to starve until help arrives.

Closing her eyes once more, Asch nestles closer to her husband. "I'm tired," she lies. "We can find the food later."

"Asch—" August begins.

A crack of thunder roars in her ears, followed by the cries of several horses.

Immediately grabbing the dagger tucked into her side, Asch fully straightens out. She tucks the weapon up her sleeve, knowing that she'll need to use the element of surprise if the individual is hostile.