Chapter Twenty-Five

Given the fact that he is constantly guarding Asch, it's hard to know when Henrick manages to find the time to eat or sleep. It's likely something that August had not accounted for when he assigned Henrick to be Asch's sole personal guard. Asch herself had never thought about it until she decided that she would ask another guard about Henrick whenever he took a break from watching over her.

Alone in the corner of the tea room with a book, Asch attempts to think of the best approach to speaking with Henrick. If she asks directly, there's a good chance that he will not be forthcoming with all the information. Asking around may also prove to be just as fruitless, considering the fact that he is very quiet and reserved.

What Asch knows about Henrick is only what he wants her to know. He has two sisters, one of which he hasn't seen since she was an infant. His family pushed him into becoming a guard, likely even paying to ensure his success.

Frustratedly slamming her book closed, Asch glares in Henrick's direction. "Do you ever get a break?" She finds herself asking. "I feel as though whenever I leave my room you are always around."

From his spot in the opposite corner of the room, Henrick turns his head in her direction. Though most of his features are neutral, hints of amusement crease the corners of his eyes. "Is something wrong, Princess? Have you grown tired of my presence?"

Quickly realizing she went with the wrong approach, Asch releases a sigh. It'll take a bit of an effort to remedy the situation so that Henrick does not grow overly suspicious. "No," she states. "I'm just beginning to realize that most of the people who work in this palace do not get any time to themselves."

The guard's gaze flickers toward the door, almost as though the topic makes him nervous. "It is what is expected of us. We are all aware of what comes with our jobs."

Asch hates that response. She hates that the common folk are expected to do more for their noble counterparts. Oftentimes, the peasants will have to break their backs and jeopardize their livelihoods just to appease the requests of the nobles. The nobles, who have likely never worked a day in their lives, do not care about the peasants' efforts. They only care that the task gets finished.

Her father used to be the same way. Asch had been expected to take care of all the housework. Asch had to clean every inch of the household to make sure they were upheld to Robert's standards. Despite her inability to work an oven, Asch was expected to cook every meal. Once Rosetta was wed, Asch had to step up and take care of her father's business. She had to make the sales and tell Robert what he had to cook. On top of that, she had to care for her younger siblings since Linay was always too weak to do so herself.

At one point, she had found herself resenting her stepmother. Kind as she was, Linay also seemed to be useless. She couldn't take care of the home or her own children. She was even incapable of cooking. Sometimes, it felt as though she was incapable of love, since she always gave it inconsistently.

Rising to her feet, Asch stalks toward the room's exit. Her long legs move a lot quicker than normal, making her steps louder. Henrick immediately follows after her, trying to match her erratic pace. "What are you doing?" He asks from behind her.

They both round the corner that leads to the staircase that leads downstairs. She does not say anything to Henrick while she walks toward the kitchens, where the cooks are currently making dinner for the royal family.

Henrick catches up so that he is walking by her side. "Why are we walking toward the kitchens?" He questions. His voice is slightly more panicked now, indicating that his neutral exterior is breaking.

At the moment, Asch does not care. What she cares about is the injustice that the servants and guards are facing. They are all overworked and likely underpaid. No one ever thanks them for their services. The servants are never celebrated or recognized. They are all treated as if they aren't needed or wanted. Like they are some undesirable, unnecessary evil.