Chapter Thirteen

Two months after Princess Asch arrived at the beach house with large injuries, the King and Queen host a memorial service for all the guards that lost their lives protecting the young couple.

It had taken at least a month and a half for August to convince his parents to allow them to attend. Each conversation led to a delay of the service, since the king and queen had hoped that August would give up on the desire to attend.

They must have finally realized that August was never going to back down from this request.

The memorial takes place in the dead of night in the center of one of the most beautiful fields. In the very center of the earth, in front of the large gravestone, the earth is overturned from the mass grave the king and queen provided for the slain guards. Small patches of grass are starting to poke through the pile of dirt.

Piles of purple flowers and white candles surround the six foot marble stone, accentuating the beauty of the grave stone. August can tell that a lot of effort went into properly burying these men. From the placement of their burial ground to the headstone with all of their names engraved into it, the person who took care of these elaborate details knew exactly what they were doing.

The prince and the princess stand in the center of a large crowd. They share a large, black candle between the two of them, watching over the priest that stands on a small gold stool by the gravestone. Henrick stands on the other side of the princess, his face stony. The guard carries three swords on him— two of which being from a pair of guards who were Henrick's friends.

August does not know the names of those two men, or any of the names of the men that died. In fact, he does not know the names of most of the guards surrounding him. He's never needed to know the names of the people protecting him. He's only ever needed to know Henrick's name.

It's a fact that did not bother the prince until this very moment.

"Today, we gather to honor the men who dedicated their lives to the royal family. To hor the men who sacrificed themselves so that the prince and princess can be here today," the priest claims. There's a hood drawn over his face, preventing people from seeing it.

Slowly, he gestures toward August and Asch. "We thank Velma, the goddess of life, for ensuring their safety and health."

Instinctively bowing his head, August offers a silent thanks to all the gods that save his wife. In his thankful prayer, he adds a request for them to continue to protect her for the rest of her life.

"Now," the priest states. "Let us take a moment to pray that Vecnos guides their souls to their proper resting place."

The night air stills while everyone hangs their heads. Nothing makes a single sound in the field, as if nature is also paying its respects.

When the priest begins his prayer, Asch presses closer to August. Warmth seeps into his body and the temperature of the surrounding area seems to spike upwards.

There's obvious guilt and sadness on his wife's face, which is partially concealed with the black, mesh veil that she is wearing.

Since they entered the carriage earlier this morning, Asch has not spoken a word. It's likely that it's because of the survivor's guilt that she has been feeling/ This service has only enhanced the pain that she is feeling.

Wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulders, August pulls her into his body. All August has to offer her at this time is his strength and comfort. It doesn't feel like he's giving enough to her, though.

When the prayer is finished, the priest steps away from the gravestone. He gestures toward the dark slab, allowing time for people to say their goodbyes.

It's tradition for royals to visit the stone first. Then the deceased family, their friends, their acquaintances, and anyone else who would like to share any final words.

As August begins to move toward the front, however, Asch gently grabs his arm. "We should allow for their families to say goodbye first," she claims. Her voice is strong, clear, and just loud enough to catch the attention of people nearby. "They are— were the most important people in these men's lives. It feels more appropriate."

Several pairs of eyes look toward August to see his next move. Asch knows about the customs and understands traditions. She is good at humbling herself, likely remembering her status of birth.

She is also far too good at not following traditional expectations. Asch swears, she speaks to everyone as her equals, she has killed men, driven a carriage, wielded a sword, and saved the lives of two men who are supposed to protect her.

His parents find her behavior odd and dangerous. They believe that her decisions and current reputation ruin the public's perception of the royal family. They believe that she does not deserve the title of queen or princess.

Based on the looks she is currently receiving, August knows that Asch is the best thing that has happened to this kingdom. She offers a perspective that August shall never have with ideas that he's never even considered.

He knows that the royals will despise her. That they will gossip about her and spread terrible rumors.

But her people will love her.

He offers her a nod, stepping toward the back of the group. Henrick trails behind the two of them, despite their protests. The guard insists on staying near the couple at all times. It's been the case ever since the doctor cleared him for guard duty.

There's something different about Henrick. It's as if something awoke in the guard the day of the failed attempt on August's life.

By the time Asch and August stand before the stone, most of the crowd has dispersed. Those who remain include the families of the deceased as well as quite a few guards. All of them stare at the couple as though they are anticipating Asch and August's next move.

Asch does not seem to feel their gaze, stepping close to the shiny marble. The candle in her hand creates a reflection on the slab's smooth surface.

Silence descends between the pair while August takes a moment to memorize all of the names.

"May Vecnos guide you to your final resting place," Asch murmurs.

The two of them step to the side. Henrick walks forward, unsheathing the blades strapped to his back. No words leave his mouth before he stabs them on both sides of the gravestone. He pats each blade tenderly, offering their owners a silent goodbye. Then, he follows the prince and princess toward their carriage.