Chapter Twenty-Four

Their new bedroom is finished on their one year anniversary, looking much better than the original one. It is much more spacious, giving them room to host at least two dozen people even with it fully furnished. There's a large vanity against the wall across from their bed for Asch to do her hair and makeup in the morning. A couch and a few chairs line the area closest to the entrance, giving them a space to sit and talk with one another. In almost every corner, there are candles of varying colors to provide the pair light once the sun goes down.

August likes how this room has more of Asch's presence in it. He likes the walk-in closet made specifically for all of the dresses she buys and the stand that she had designed to hold all of their crowns. He likes the decor and how open the space is.

The new room makes him appreciate that their old one had burned down.

Asch stares at a black candles in the corner by their bed with a smile. Slowly, she pulls one of the candles from its holder. "I remember when you had caught me holding a candle on my first day here," she states. "I had been so worried about how our relationship would work."

He walks over to her side. August studies the candle in her hand while sliding his hands around her waist. "I was too," he admits. "Part of me was afraid that you would run away once you truly got to know me."

She puts the candle back so that she can hold his hands with both of hers. The back of her head rests against his shoulder. "So much has changed since then."

It's hard for August to believe that a year ago they had just met outside of a bar neither of them should have been at. One small decision created a much larger impact than expected. Had he done anything different, August is certain that he would be an entirely different person. A stranger to himself.

There are not enough words for August to use to tell Asch how much she means to him. There are not enough actions August can do to show Asch how much he loves and appreciates her. All he can do is hope that he is able to properly convey the message with the limits that he currently has.

"Yes," he agrees. He steps back from her hold, reaching into the pocket of his jacket. The box has been burning a hole in his pocket since he grabbed it from his dresser drawer this morning. August had been waiting all morning to find the perfect opportunity to give Asch her anniversary present.

Before he can pull the box out, however, August lets his nerves get the best of him. It's a foolish idea, he tells himself. She probably won't even like it.

The prince takes his wife's hand and spins her around to face him. "Dance with me," he states.

Asch places her hand on his shoulder, a grin growing on her face. "There isn't any music playing," she points out.

Pulling her close to his body, August gives her a charming smile. "We can pretend there is." He closes his eyes for a brief moment, imagining the sound of violins beginning to start. The instruments send vibrations through his body and begin to calm his nerves. "Do you hear those violins?"

As he leads her into dance, August watches the smile on her face grow even wider. "Oh, and there goes the cellos," she says after a few steps.

August spins her around in a slow circle. His wife's gold dress glows like the sun, making her even more radiant. The shade brings out the green in her eyes and makes her smile even whiter.

A fake melody drifts over the room, enveloping the young couple in its sweet embrace. The cellos begin to play a countermelody to oppose the beautiful violins, their notes fast and soft. While the bass keeps the tempo, August can feel his chest vibrate and his heart match the beat.