Chapter 28

Discovery (Chapter 28)

The Next Day...

While Arthur and Treyvon went to find some more clues about the mastermind, I went to find Mary, Isaac and Kristoff. I ran around the hallway and eventually found them in Isaac's room. "Guys! There you are!" I said as I walked in. They all looked at me. Mary offered me a cheery smile. "Francine, hi! What brings you here?" she asked. Think of an excuse, Fracnince. Think. "I...um. I just wanted to visit you all and see how you're doing! I find it strange that the mastermind has decided to stop doing his death game challenges for a while. I thought maybe he's up to something. Just making sure you're alive and if you all are alive, I want to hang out with you all!" I said. Isaac smiled. "Perfect. I managed to bring a microwave with me before I was taken by the mastermind. I also brought some baking supplies as well. I can bake cookies for everyone!" Isaac beamed. Everyone looked at Isaac, including me. This guy took a whole baking station with him? How? Isaac turned extremely red. "I'm a...person who wants to be prepared for anything. I packed all of it because I always thought I might suddenly need to go rent a room in a hotel/motel. I personally think their food is ghastly, so I decided to take a baking kit with me with some pre-made food." Isaac looks insanely uncomfortable now. Kristoff laughed. "Oh Isaac. You really are prepared for everything, but you need to loosen up a little," he said. "Everyone keeps telling me that! But those are normally people who are under prepared!" Isaac protested. "Stop bickering, you two!" Mary said. "I'm sure Francine's hungry when you mention cookies. I'm pretty hungry, too! You have to make us those cookies, Isaac!" Mary exclaims. Isaac and Kristoff stopped fighting. "Alright, alright. Tell me what you want, I'll bake it," Isaac said. "I'm going for something healthy, so I'll want the oatmeal raisin cookies with extra raisins!" Kristoff said. Isaac looked at him with a strange look. "Kristoff, the most delicious cookies out there are unhealthy and you're saying you want a healthy one? I guess I can't exactly argue with you about that, though," Isaac said. Isaac gestured at me and Mary to tell him what type of cookie we want. "I'll go for something basic. A chocolate chip cookie, please," Mary said. "I'll have a peanut butter cookie. What are you getting, Isaac?" I asked. "I'm going to be baking myself a gingersnap cookie," he answered. Gingersnap. My other

favorites. I should've asked for that instead. I guess I can't exactly do anything about it. If I just ask him for that as well he'll think I'm greedy. Besides, it's not polite to ask for something when someone is going to give you something good already. You might as well enjoy it instead of taking it for granted. Isaac pulled a portable microwave, four bags of cookie dough, at least, that's what I assume (I was right) and an ice cream scooper. Isaac reached into a bag and scooped out a circular shaped dough with the ice cream scooper and placed it inside of the microwave (he inserted parchment paper inside it first and placed the dough on top of it). He did the same thing with the other three bags and when he was done, he shut the microwave door and pushed some buttons. It lit up. "Where do you even store all of this before the mastermind gave us rooms?" I asked. "I stored it where any other normal person would store something," Isaac said. "Something tells me it's quite the contrary of what he meant," Mary muttered. "I stored it in my bag," Isaac said. He pointed to a black messenger bag that was placed at the side of his bed. "No way. You stored a whole microwave and baking kit in there! How does everything even fit?! I'm surprised you didn't need a hundred more bags to store everything else," Kristoff said. "My bag may be small, but it can carry a lot of things," Isaac said. He started to turn red again. "I'm glad you decided to take a cooking kit with you. We wouldn't be able to taste these cookies if it weren't for you," Mary said. "Thanks. I actually wanted to own a restaurant one day. Well, that was before I saw that poster and decided to take the bait anyway..." Isaac stopped talking. I suddenly remembered why I was here. "Guys, random question, but what type of phone do you have? You know, the ones that were confiscated by the guards outside," I said. The phone that Arthur, Treyvon, and I found was a black Nokia. Mary scoffed. "Don't get me started on that topic! I don't even own a phone. I didn't want to be one of those phone addicts," she said. No phone? Can anyone even survive without a phone? Either she's lying or she actually doesn't have a phone. I looked at Isaac and Kristoff expectantly. "I have a very outdated phone..." Isaac began. Could he be the mastermind's partner? Nokia is pretty outdated. "I have a DynaTAC 8000X as a phone!" Isaac blurted out. Okay, that's too old. I looked at Kristoff who looked at me. "What?" "What type of phone do you have?" I asked. "I don't have one," Kristoff quickly answered. A little too quickly. I stared at him. "Are you sure?" I asked. He nodded. He's lying for sure. That's the face of a liar. I had to come up with a way to confirm that he's the owner of the Nokia phone. I had to come up with a plan to expose the mastermind's partner. "Hey, I just remembered something," Mary said. Everyone looked at her. "Yes, Mary?" I asked. "My memory has been declining, but I was sure that Isaac told me that a man, who seems to be in his 20s, came up to him and asked him a question regarding his phone. The same thing happened to me. A black man came up to me and showed me a phone while asking me whether or not I owned it. I told him no and he grunted and turned around. Did it happen to you, Kristoff?" Mary asked. Kristoff nodded. "Francine did it to me. The 20 year old man and the black man must've been her buddies. Arthur and Treyvon. Are you all up to something? The phone seems to mean a lot to you," Kristoff pointed out. Isaac, Mary and Kristoff both looked at me. I was fiddling. What do I do? Do I just tell them why I was hanging out with them in the first place? They won't trust me after that, will they? I know how people react because I've experienced someone giving me the same reaction. My husband. As much as he loves me, he's also very private about a lot of things. He's private about his relationships with other people, how his business is doing, and what he even does in his business. That is one side about him that I never liked or even grew to love. Something suddenly caught my eye. A movement. I looked at Kristoff and there, in his hands, hidden away from everyone else's prying eyes, was the same Nokia phone. But I realized something else. Everyone was giving me an angry expression. Mary and Isaac. They were all looking at me. They were all in on it. It wasn't just Kristoff who was working for the mastermind. It was Mary and Isaac, too. He managed to manipulate them all. And I've fallen for his trap. I suddenly felt dizzy. I looked at the cookie in my hand and saw that a green liquid was coming out of it. I fainted.