Chapter 31

Who Am I? (Chapter 31)

Francine's POV...

The next time I woke up, I found myself in a dark room. Where am I? A light shone on me. "Well, it looks like you're finally awake," said a deep yet very rich voice. I recognized that voice. The mastermind. "What do you want from me?" I asked. "Nothing too serious," he answered. "I just need to know something..." he paused, as if trying to figure out what to say next to get me to answer his question easily. "I wanted to know who you think I am," the mastermind finally settled on. I blinked at the light. Is he being serious? He sent Mary, Isaac and Kristoff to kidnap me only to ask me a basic question about his identity? Remember, Francine. He's smart. He can be up to anything. Just keep your guard up at all times. He can be trying to manipulate you. He's dangerous and has a way with words. "Why do you want to know? Surely you think I can't guess who you are, mastermind," I flatly said. "That's exactly what I thought you'd say. Anyone will say the same thing you said when they really mean the opposite. You know that I'm trying to get the answer out of you, specifically you, for a reason," he said. "Then what is the reason? Why do you need me? Why did you need to kill Lady Daphne?" I exclaimed. I would never forgive him for something like that. He murdered her! He's a cold blooded and hearted killer! "To get you in this exact moment, of course," the mastermind answered. What? "What do you mean? How can you predicate that I'll be here, sitting right here, at this exact moment?" I asked. Is he a fortune teller? How far into the future can he see? Not only can he see the future, he can see the paths to take to get to that result. "You see, from the moment I saw you and Daphne's friendship grow, I knew that you would do anything to avenge her if someone were to kill her. So, I got Kristoff to kill her. I gave him the phone. I made him, Mary and Isaac to act as suspicious as they can. I knew that Arthur would find the phone and give it to Treyvon and you. I knew that you would try your hardest to kill me and everyone else on my side to avenge Daphne." I was extremely shocked and surprised. He predicted it all. He predicted it accurately. He's horrifyingly accurate. He knows what we're going to do before we actually do it. He knows everything about us. "No. No, you're wrong. There's no way you can predict all of that!" I exclaimed. "Haven't you learned already? From Treyvon? From Daphne? From Arthur? Arthur, the person you cared about the most?" I was speechless. He's right. I care about Arthur as if he's my son. But there was something he didn't know about me. Something he'll never suspect. If I tell him that, he might never forgive me. I have to keep it a secret until the time comes where I have no choice but to tell him. "Now tell me, who do you think I am?" the mastermind said, steering the conversation back to its original topic. "Why do you want to know?" I asked again. The mastermind went quiet. "Tell me now, Francine. You wouldn't want anyone to hurt your fellow survivors, now do we?" the mastermind asked. No. No he didn't. He didn't just threaten me with Treyvon and Arthur's life! "You wouldn't!" I exclaimed. "Oh yes I would, and I will, if you don't answer my question!" he said. I can sense the anger and frustration in his rising voice. "If that's the way it is, then I guess I'll have to tell you," I finally said. "Well, I'm waiting." The mastermind stopped talking. I sighed. "I know I'm probably wrong, but I'm almost certain that you're...you're...my husband. You remind me so much of him. So much so that you even have similar behavioral patterns. There, I've said it. Did I guess it right?" I asked. The mastermind went quiet. "Who is your husband?" he asked. I bit my lip. I knew what that meant. I've guessed wrong. I knew that he wasn't him. I've already told him enough. I didn't want to tell him that part. "No, you're not going to know anything about him other than his name. So why sh0uld I tell you?!" I asked. "You seem to be defending him. Didn't you just say that he and I have a similar behavioral pattern? Doesn't that mean that you two never got along with each other? Why would you care whether or not he's dead or alive?" the mastermind asked. "Because he's a human! Besides, he used to be my husband. I still love him, even when I don't know where he is and even when he isn't the best husband!" I said. The mastermind froze. I've never heard this type of silence from him before. This was a different kind of silence. He's usually silent when he's waiting for you to answer a question or to torture you. However, this type of silence is almost as if he's lost for words. It's almost peaceful. The door suddenly burst open. A tall boy with ruffled auburn colored hair and icy blue eyes and a burly black man entered the room. "Francine! We're here to save you!" Arthur cried.