twenty-three: gin n tonic

Cheryl turned around to the voice which was totally a Spanish man who also happens to be a Ferrari driver. Cheryl let a deep sigh out at the sight of Carlos followed by Isa coming next to him. "He isn't coming." He whispered to the girl and took his girlfriend's hand as Cheryl showed them inside.

She didn't know why she was feeling let down now, two seconds ago she was swearing off her mother -which now she was terribly sorry for- but now she was a little disappointed she won't be getting to see him. She headed inside since everyone arrived and got a glass of red wine she went outside where everyone was.

Lando put his arm around the girl as he sipped his beer. "How are we, young lady? I swear to god people are betting on whether you were dead down at the paddock. Tried so hard to convince them but no use." He said as they looked at everyone from afar. 

"Well, how much did you bet I was alive? I hope you can buy me new heels since I am your source." Cheryl took a large sip of her wine. "Heels for you? You just gotta tell me which one." Lando laughed. "I had friendship bracelets in mind but whatever the paddock princess wants." He added. "Oh my god stop it, I saw that on Instagram. How am I the paddock princess? I was literally forced to be there, once." Cheryl said finishing her wine.

"Slow down paddock princess, Netflix is probably after you." Lando pissed off the blondie even more. Cheryl simply handed him her wine glass for a refill which caused Lando to take it as an order.

Cheryl was waiting for her wine until she saw the porch door open to reveal the Monegasque boy making her heart drop. Max ran to the boy at the door who had flowers in his hand, the two friends hugged as Charles's gaze was fixated on the blondie in the corner away from everyone.

Lando walked back to the girl handing her the glass, Cheryl downed the glass moment she got handed it. She watched Charles come down the stairs and hand the flowers to her mother. Oh, that evil lady, evil evil evil, evil matchmaker. First Tehani and now Charles, by life bringing them together she meant herself. Even Carlos didn't know he was coming, oh that woman is good at this.

Cheryl and Lando approached the crowd entering the camera sights. Lando greeted Charles which made it her turn. Cheryl put her hand out to shake his as he had her arms up to hug her. At that moment Cheryl felt like she had boiling water drop over her head, this was on camera making it ten times more awkward with everyone watching them too. She took a deep breath as she put her arms up to hug him which caused him to put his hand out to shake hers at the same time.

"This is awkward for us to witness please just say hi." Lando said which eased the crowd making them laugh. The two ended up fist bumping out of nowhere which was worse than anything they did before how was the best-case scenario... fist bump?

-

After Cheryl brought out the cake and they celebrated Max's second championship the camera crew left leaving the crowd more comfortable. Cheryl went to the bar and ordered a gin tonic. 

"Make it two please." She heard the Monegasque boy say as he approached the bar.

"Did you even hear what I've ordered or...?" Cheryl asked. "I will go with 'or' but I am guessing gin tonic since you had too much wine and your parents probably find vodka too trashy to serve." Charles said as they picked up their drinks. "You thought right so enjoy your drink." Cheryl said as she walked away only to be stopped by the boy's grip on her wrist.

"Don't leave, I don't know how much I can act as if nothing happened among our friends." Charles said letting her wrist go. "Okay, but I am going to the horses to smoke." Cheryl replied. "Fine by me just get me away from the crowd." Charles smiled.

The two walked in silence to the horse barn when they arrived Cheryl sat down on the chairs outside putting her drink down on the table. Charles was shocked the see the place filled with many horses. "When you said horses you really meant horses?" Charles asked the girl as he sat down his drink trying to get a better peak.

"Oh, I can understand why you would get confused by me meaning horses when I said horses, my bad." Cheryl said sarcastically getting a cigarette out. "Ah the sarcasm I missed, music to my ears." He said as he sat down. "Shit, I forgot my lighter." Cheryl cursed getting up from her seat. "Here." Charles said handing her a lighter which left Cheryl very confused.

"Since when do you smoke?" Cheryl questioned as she lit her cigarette.

"I don't, I know you do when you are stressed." Charles spoke as Cheryl gave him back the lighter.

Cheryl was left tomfoolerized by the moment which made her heart warm up yet she was mad at him over everything. She wanted to scream and fight with him about the thing he did and say but she was here sitting here with him in peace having small talk. What did this small gesture mean? Did he always carry one in case she was stressed? Were there more things that went unnoticed than he was doing for her?

"So my mother invited you I'm guessing?" Cheryl changed to the subject not wanting to swoon over him. "Max invited me initially but I didn't think it was right to come until Mrs.Horner called me and invited me personally. I rather stay on good terms with your mother." Ferrari driver explained.

"Where is your girlfriend, she wouldn't miss camera moments. Sorry I meant for pr to protect me that you designed right?" Cheryl shaded both of them, she knew the things her mother said yet she wasn't going to let him get away after the couple broke her.

"I do not have a girlfriend since Monaco, you know that." Charles replied as he drank his drink.

"Sure she was with you in Singapore which happens to be two weeks ago." Cheryl said rolling her eyes.

"You are stalking me huh?" Charles said with a smirk covering his face.

"I watched the race for Max, not me 'stalking' if she is on tv." The blonde girl said inhaling her cigarette. "Okay, good point but you knew she would be there for pr." Charles replied.

"If pr was to protect me from cheating rumors and hate why was she there after you..." Cheryl couldn't continue her sentence, she couldn't get the words out that he let her down; that he broke up with her without even dating her properly.

Charles took a second of silence in as he saw the girl's face sulk without her realizing it. Cheryl took a large sip from her drink hoping it hits. "It was short notice to cancel her flight, after I had the talk with Lando before the show that was when I knew I needed to let you go to not break your heart anymore." Charles explained.

"Wait, Lando knew? Lando is the one who agreed you to let me go?" Cheryl asked shocked, her best friend caused this.

"Yes but no... I mean he knew bu-" Charles was cut off by Cheryl throwing her cigarette and chugging her drink as she made her way to Lando. She threw her glass on the floor with power making it shatter with a loud band making the crowd confused by the sound.