Chapter 7

After our conversation, Otis and I didn't say anything to each other until Mama called us down for dinner. We walked downstairs together and sat at the table. Dinner was awkward, for me at least. After all, I was eating with the same people who had killed my family. I tried to not let that thought ruin my appetite or my mood.

When we were done eating, Otis and I went back upstairs to his room. To my surprise, he didn't initiate any sex; we just laid on his bed and fell asleep.

The next day was considerably less eventful, since Otis didn't bring any victims up from the basement. At one point in the day, Baby entered the room asking to hang out with me.

"Otissss I wanna play with Cassie!" she whined.

"Can't you see we're busy here?!" We were, in fact, not busy. I think Otis just wanted to keep me around him.

"Y'know she doesn't belong to you!" Baby protested.

"Actually, she does fuckin' belong to me!" Their argument quickly started escalating. I felt like a toy that two toddlers were fighting over.

When I felt like my eardrums were just about to be shattered from all the yelling, Mama rushed in and stopped their bickering.

"Now, Otis, you've been with Cassie for over two days, give Baby a day to have some fun," she tried to negotiate. "Besides, I'm sure poor Cassie wouldn't mind a break from you, wouldn't ya, dear?" she directed her question at me.

Now all three of their attentions were directed at me. Why'd you have to put the decision on me? I had no idea what to say. I knew if I told Otis that I wanted to hang out with Baby instead of him, that would most likely be his breaking point, and he'd kill me. But I also didn't want to upset Mama or Baby.

"Y'know, I really don't wanna be the one to make the decision," I finally said.

"Exactly! She wants to stay here with me," Otis concluded.

"That's not fair!" Baby griped.

"Life ain't fair!"

Mama and Baby left the room, much to Baby's chagrin. Otis and I resumed what we were doing before the dispute. Soon enough, I felt the need to go to the bathroom. I excused myself and walked out into the hallway and into the bathroom.

When I was done, I opened the door to come face to face with Baby.

"Hi Cassie!" she cheerfully greeted me.

"Uh, hi Baby," I returned the greeting. We stood there, facing each other, unmoving. "I should probably get back to Otis," I tried to move past her, but she was blocking the way.

"Why'd ya even wanna hang out with that grouch anyway? I'm much more fun than he is!" Before I could respond, she dragged me to her own room and shut the door behind us.

Baby led me over to her bed, and we both sat down on it. I smiled at her uncertainly. "Are you sure Otis is gonna be okay with this?"

"Aw, don't worry 'bout him. Besides, I wanna have some girl time!" She gestured for me to come to the edge of the bed, which I did. "We need to get ya out of those gross clothes, Otis has absolutely no style!" I just remembered that I was still wearing Otis's clothes that he gave me earlier.

Baby rummaged through many different drawers and looked through her closet, trying to find something for me to wear. She decided on some ripped up black jean shorts and a flowy blouse with a simple flower pattern on it. I honestly thought it was kind of cute.

After I put the clothes on and Baby was satisfied with her choice, she went to her vanity and pulled out her makeup kit. It was filled with dozens of eyeshadows, lipsticks, foundations, mascaras—everything you could think of. She picked out a few that she liked and got to work doing my makeup.