Chapter 6: Colder than Ice

"Lisa, I need you." Words coming out without having the second thought of it. Am I really doing this? Calling for her knowing we barely know each other.

"Meet me at the train station" without hesitation I obeyed her command, ensuring that I was there first before her. The idea of someone waiting for me is something I couldn't allow myself to do so. Most of the time it makes me feel obligated to reciprocate the actions they do for me, even though they told me not to do so.

Hearing the sound of the clocks always seems to get on my nerve, hearing its tick tock sounds annoys me for no reasons. Watching as time passes by quickly, 5 minutes later was then turned into 10, 15, 20 and finally there she was.

A tall, blacked haired, thai lady, covered in nothing but sweat all over her forehead. She hurriedly ran up to me, pulling me into a very tight hug. It was a hug that I never thought of sharing with anyone except my very own mother.

"Come here, what's wrong Jennie?" Her hands cupping my face, eyes wandering all my body, checking for signs if I was injured. For a second, I suddenly felt safe. The mixture of the cold breeze as the air brushes through between us, with the sight of Lisa gave me a somewhat familiar feeling. Home.

Without realizing I whispered the words louder than my thoughts that Lisa immediately hugged me once again. "I'm here Jennie, I'll drive you to my place. Okay? It's not much but enough to keep you warm"

Nodding my head in reply, she placed her hand across my arm, guaranteeing my safeness. We arrived in front of her car and being the gentlewoman that she is, Lisa opened the passenger door and gestured for me to go in. As soon as I sat down she closes the door after and quickly went in.

"I just want you to know that I'm here with you always, okay? Forcing you to say things to me is the last thing I'll ever do, you can tell me anything as long as you're comfortable." She started the engine and went on her way driving.

Seconds later in and the only sound that filled the quiet surrounding was the sound of the engine. Seeing Lisa wear her serious facial aspects was a first to me that it felt ghoulish to utter a single word. Gulping was the only thing I felt free doing.

Astonished by the view outside the window, I continued to admire the different pathwalks, lights, buildings, houses and people. Being in this part of the city felt.. nerve wrecking but a part of me asked where's your sense of adventure? Following my instincts, keeping my guard up is still the best decision.

"We're close, I have some clothes in my apartment if you want to change. You're always welcome to call me if you need a place to stay." Reassuring. A few of her personality traits I've gained just from communicating with her today.

"Thank you, for everything." Stuttering in between words as I sighed in embarrassment. A sudden memory flashed upon me, as I recall the event of my mother dying inside Mr. Kims' house. What I thought was a nightmare turned out to be true, wish I could turn back time right now. I'd do anything just to see my mother again, what about my promises to her now?

How cruel of you mother to leave me with Father when I specifically swore on my life that we would leave that blood-curdling place. You know I was ready to throw-hands just for you mother, I'd do anything just to see you smile again, to see you happy, hear you laugh, for us to create a memory filled with joyous laughs and endless smiles. Leaving the past behind us can be crucial especially escaping from that monstrous Mr. Kim, but for you mother. I'll do anything.

"We're here" words escaping from Lisa's lips, distracting me from my own thoughts. As I continue to stare at the front door glass, I noticed that the apartment looked far from an average one, there was a night guard by the door, and the place. It seemed like it was freshly painted a few days, weeks ago maybe.

Lisa exited the vehicle and immediately went to my side of the door, opening for me. "Thanks" replying to her small, kind gesture. "Anything for you Kim" She offered a hand and I shook my head in reply. I'm guessing this is what it feels when someone is being a gentlewoman towards you, literally doing everything and anything for you. What surprised me even more was how fast she picked up the phone, a hint of concern coming from her voice as we spoke from the phone a while ago.

Walking towards the door, the night guard greeted us with a smile and said, "Good Evening Miss. Manoban" He knows her? Well, I suppose he does since she do lives here. "Evening James" Lisa greeted back. They seemed very casual with each other, perhaps they've probably started having conversations back then.

As we walked inside the elevator, I never knew how many floors this building has. It was a 24 story building, the interior design is pretty interesting as it has walls painted with a pale yellow, definitely an old building. We stopped in front of a door which numbers 895, as soon as I stepped inside everything was neatly arranged.

"Nice place you have here Manoban." Complimenting her taste for colors, everything inside was color coordinated and even the furnitures. The tables were made out of Mahogany wood, I couldn't help but scoff as I let my eyes wander around the place, it was small but habitable. She even has plants as her decoration, and a mini turntable that's placed in the middle of the living room. "It's nothing much but, I like to make sure everything inside my aparment correlates with one another, having my walls painted with the shade of sea salt green, definitely goes well with Mahogany Wood." 

Smiling at her statement, not only was she kind, soft spoken, but also a very sharp person. "Here, you can sleep in my room. I'll be sleeping in the couch" She gestures, pointing at her room. "What? I can't do that, you live here. You should be the one who's sleeping inside your room." Shaking my head as I walk towards her unti we were an inch apart. 

"How are you feeling?" Her voice echoing, completely removing the silence that was put between us, feeling my breathing hinge I suddenly found myself grabbing onto her shirt, hugging her, my eyes covered in tears as I let her warmth travels to my body. "You don't have to tell me anything if you're not comfortable Jennie. Just know that I'll always be here with you no matter what." Softly brushing my hair through her long, narrow fingers. 

"Thank you, for being able to come to me." Grasping tighter onto her shirt.  "My pleasure" Pulling away from the hug she held my hand and gazing into my eyes. "Jennie Kim, I shall  be your one call away when things doesn't go according to plan, you know my number, I'll cancel my plans for you, always know that I'll always be here with you no matter how far the distance are between us." Eyes filled with fondness and sincerity, pulling her once again, we are now hugging each other. Finally her arms wrapped around my small tiny waist.

The feeling of her close to me, not only does it make me feel calm, but it definitely is soothing, relaxing and the most welcoming hug I have ever experience. Without realizing I ended up sleeping as we held each other. 

The next morning I was greeted by the face of non other than Lalisa Manoban, her arms as my pillow and her body as my bed. Looking at her I never felt so mesmerized by someone's gestures, appearance, just everything about her is more than mesmirizing. Moving her bangs aside, she shifts her position and is now cuddling me like a khoala. Surprised by the sudden gesture I smiled once again.