Prologue

A/N: The inspiration for this book comes from Nickelodeon's Rags and A Cinderella Story If The Shoe Fits but with a rough modern twist. 

Past (5 years ago)

Third Person POV:

Samuel John Golbach was a happy twelve-year-old boy. Sam enjoyed going to school and he loved his parents. Sam was an only child from a wealthy family since Mr.Golbach owns a very successful company called Golbach Inc. Sam was also a momma's boy. Sam's parents never really spoiled him instead they taught him how to earn what he wants and to be appreciative of what he has.

You can say that Sam has a pretty amazing life. However, that all changed one day when Sam's mother died from a horrible heart attack. Poor Sam was very distraught during his mother's death. The only thing he had left from his mother was a small beautiful golden heart pendant with the words, Onward & Upward on the front and With love forever, mother and father on the back. Sam had received that necklace on his twelve birthday a month prior to his mother's death.

Two years later, Sam's father remarried a woman named Marisa. Marisa had two twin daughters named Ashley and Brittany. Marisa had brown hair with hazel eyes while the twins had brown hair but with different colored eyes. Ashley had brown hair and blue eyes while Brittany had brown hair with green eyes. Sam's stepmom and stepsisters despised the poor boy.

When his dad was home from work, his stepmom and stepsisters would treat him well but when Sam's dad is at work, he was treated as the family servant. This treatment went on for quite some time. A few months after Sam's dad remarried, he was involved in a horrible car crash where he, unfortunately, passed away. Leaving poor Sam an orphan living with his cruel stepmom and stepsisters.

When Marisa found out about Mr.Golbach's will, she right away went to claim it for herself and her daughters but of course, she was denied. Since the will was written shortly after Mrs.Golbach passed, Mr.Golbach at the time wrote his will for Sam. Making Sam the only one who can claim his inherited will at the age of eighteen. Unless he sells his will after turning eighteen that is. So now Marisa plans on waiting for Sam to turn eighteen so she can trick him into selling his will along with his father's company.

Shortly after his father's funeral, Marissa took away Sam's room and made him sleep in the basement on a worn-out mattress. Sam also had half of his clothes along with his belongings thrown away. The only things Sam was allowed to keep were his laptop, so he can do not only his homework but his stepsisters' homework as well, and his phone so his stepmom can call him. Sam also secretly kept his pendant so his stepmom wouldn't find it and sell it. Sam was not only forbidden from leaving the house, except for school and grocery shopping but he was forbidden from dating anyone until his eighteenth birthday, while his stepsisters were allowed to do whatever they wanted and to date whoever they wanted. Also, Sam was only allowed to eat his stepmom's and stepsisters' leftovers.