2 / one fateful night

And if you don't, I'll dance anyway

[-]

"Oh no," Nancy groaned when she rummaged through her fridge. "Not again!"

Alice heard her and walked out of her bedroom into the kitchen. "What is it?"

"I forgot to buy some milk," Her aunt stood up and sighed. "How I'm supposed to make some porridge now?"

The girl walked over to her and suggested something. "Maybe I can walk down to the 24/7 shop?"

"Honey, there isn't one here anymore," Nancy explained to her. "There's only one shop left and it works until midnight."

"Well, then I can go there. It closes in..." Alice looked at the clock on the wall. "Half an hour. I'll be back in no time."

Nancy watched her walk towards the coat rag and get dressed up. "I don't know, Alice, it's pretty dangerous out there in the middle of the night. I can make something else, don't worry-"

"I promise you," Alice smiled for her. "I'll be safe and back soon." Before she walked out of the apartment and into the cold night.

Jericho wasn't a town known for its big population, but at night it looked like a complete ghost town compared to the daytime. Without the crows yelling on top of buildings and occasional cats getting into fights, this place would look absolutely dead.

Alice kept her hands crossed on her chest as her head was low. She knew where the store was and was a couple of minutes away from reaching her destination until a couple of guys came from around the corner. 

She accidentally looked at them and got their attention unintentionally. "Oh, look what we have here!" They began approaching her and Alice quickly sprung into action by running the other way. "Hey, girl, we're talking to you!"

And they all started running after her across the streets. Alice kept looking back, wanting to see if she had lost them, but there was no hope, they were quickly catching up to her. Little did she know, the sheriff had parked his car on the side of the road, patrolling the night, when he saw her being chased.

He quickly got out of the car and began running towards them. "Hey, stop right there!" He pulled out his gun and the guys stopped at their pace. In a moment of desperation, they ran in different directions and the sheriff lost them.

Alice took a moment to breathe and leaned against the wall as the sheriff approached her. "You okay, ma'am?" He walked to her side to check if she wasn't hurt.

"No...I'm okay, sir." Alice managed to reply in between breaths and coughs.

"Listen, can I take you down to the station so you could tell me what happened?" The sheriff suggested her. "We need to catch those men and press charges."

"Uh, yeah, sure," Alice looked around herself and cleared her throat. "As long as it's quick."

[-]

"Son, I'll probably be coming home late tonight," The sheriff talked with Tyler on the phone as he looked out the window and saw Alice talking to one of the officers and describing the men. "This girl was attacked and I gotta take care of it."

"Wait, what girl?" Tyler already had a bad feeling about hearing that. 

"Alice Bardot, but don't wait up for me, I'll be back soon." And hung up.

The sheriff walked out of his office and over to the girl. "So, how's it going?"

"She has given us quite a lot of description, sir," The female police officer said. "We might be able to catch the suspects."