13 / prideful and reasonable

Like a barge at sea

[-]

! AUTHOR'S NOTE !

thank you all so much for 7 thousand reads!  it means the world to me you like this book, so from now on, expect much longer chapters and more updates. Merry Christmas!

[-]

"Shouldn't you be in your physical education class?" Ms. Thornhill playfully asked as she came down the stairs.

Alice turned to look at her from searching through the library bookshelf and shook her head. "I find it hilarious that the school board thinks seniors will participate in such classes. Don't they understand it's useless?"

"I'm sure they do, they just can't eliminate it from the program," Marilyn sighed and stopped right in front of Alice. "But maybe I can help you with finding something? It looks like you're lost."

Alice most definitely was lost, not only in the library but in general as well. She thought about talking about her worries with Ms. Thornhill, but because ever since she moved she hadn't been talking much with Nancy and this was really bugging her, Alice decided to take the risk. 

"Can I trust you, Ms. Thornhill?"

Marilyn nervously chuckled at her question. "I suppose, what's this about, Alice?"

"Do you know anything about Jericho's mythology?" Alice elaborated. "Any stories or sightings of monsters or something like that?"

"Honey, I'm a Botanics teacher, not a literary one." Ms. Thornhill said.

"This has nothing to do with that, I'm asking from your own personal experience living here," Alice replied. "Have you seen or heard anything about it?"

The smile on Marilyn's face quickly faded and she got more serious. "Jericho has had its fair share of weirdness, but no, no monsters were documented yet. Why are you asking me such things, Alice?"

Alice looked at her and sighed. "I was, uh, searching through my aunt's old books and, uh," The girl pulled out the paper from her pocket, instantly getting Marilyn's attention. "I found this."

Ms. Thornhill came in closer after seeing what was in her hand. "Can I see it?" Alice looked at her hand and hesitantly handed the paper to her before Marilyn began inspecting it. "Well, I've certainly never seen such a creature, but I could keep this and ask the opinions of other teachers, I'm sure they would know something about it."

"No, no, no need for you to do it," Alice quickly disagreed with her and awkwardly chuckled, lending her arm out to take the paper. "I couldn't possibly ask you to do such a thing, especially when it's not part of your job."

"It's fine," Marilyn brushed it off. "I can hold onto this for you anyways..." She was about to put the paper in her pocket.

Alice could clearly see she was about to lose it, so she tried to be more confident. "Ms. Thornhill, please, give it back to me." She tried to say it in a much more serious tone.

But Marilyn ignored her and chuckled. "Don't worry about it, Alice. Seriously, it's okay, I'll try and figure something out, you got me intrigued by this already!"

Finally, Alice gathered up every piece of courage left, took a deep breath in, concentrated her mind, and lent out her hand. "Ms. Thornhill, please, give me back my paper."

Marilyn reacted the same way as Tyler did: she slowly looked up and lent out the paper for Alice to take with a blank look. "Here you go." She smiled which didn't make Alice question if her behavior was normal - she seemed much more natural than Tyler.