❪ 𝟬𝟯𝟱 ❫

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

35

35. ♥︎ ₊˚༢࿐

Mae leans over the table with her elbows, listening to Thomas map out a new route with his finger. He wants to go to the Last City, and she could tell with a single glance Vince wasn't on board. He wants to get on the boat the second it's finished, avoid WICKED's Hive Mind at all costs.

They'd be falling right into their hands.

Respectfully, Mae agreed it was stupid. Disrespectfully? She's still going anyway. In fact, she already had ten ideas to improve the plan as the words jumbled out of Thomas' mouth.

". . .it's a few hundred miles—"

"Oh, just a few?" Teddy scowls, shoving his glasses back up the bridge of his nose.

Thomas bites the inside of his cheek, "I missed you too, Ted, so I'm gonna let that one go, all right?"

The ten year old smirks, leaning back in his seat.

"But yes, based on railways, everything Aris and Mae told us, that's gonna be the way in," He continues, "That's where they're taking Minho, we take everyone who can fight."

Mae frowns, "Thomas—"

He aimlessly continues, face red with determination, "If we follow the roads where we can, then we can make it back within a week!"

Mae huffs, standing up, "Thomas!"

He turns his head to her, his eyes slightly narrow.

She raised a sharp eyebrow, "If we take all the people who can fight, that would be children. Kids no younger than Teddy, no older than us! We'd be sending them all to die. We'd be no better than them."

Mae falters, she thinks of the months she's spent away, deep through her mother's old contacts and tracking them down, taking information for the Right Arm.

What she did, kept them safe. It got them to the docs, and it got them to the tracks. What she did to get it? It was sly.

It was something her mother would be impressed with, and that alone was enough said. It made her no better than them, so she was preaching hypocrisy.

Those missions put Brenda and Harriet's lives on the line, countless close calls. They were proud to stand with her, yes, but Mae didn't like risking the lives of her friends. Her family.

Like Thomas, Mae clearly gets in her own head about what the others around them can handle.

Maybe being so alike isn't always a good thing. Feeding each other's bad habits, turning their friends into soldiers on fields instead of survivors who only take necessary risks.