Chapter 17

I'm pulled from my sleep by the faint sound of my alarm. My brain rouses and starts to replay the last few days, whilst I stretch, waking my muscles and forcing myself to get out of bed.

Mum's hopefully going to be awake at some point today, so I refuse to even look at my phone and feel disappointed and let down that Louis hasn't replied to any of my messages, so I leave the phone in my room and head down to the kitchen.

"Morning H, sleep okay?" I'm still absolutely knackered but it's more emotional exhaustion now I reckon. "Yeah, I managed a few hours.You?" She swallows down her sip of tea before saying "Same here" I'm glad we both managed some sleep.

I plop down next to her with a cup of tea and some cereal, "Ready for today?" I nod as I fill my mouth with cereal. "Think she will wake up today?" I say after chewing. Gem puts down her coffee cup and says "She's got a long journey ahead getting back on her feet H, but I hope so" before she steals a spoonful of my cereal. I stick out my tongue and grab my bowl back.

An hour or so later we are heading out the door, climbing into my car and heading back to the hospital and I'm praying it will be a positive and happy day.

I'm feeling hopeful as we step onto the lift and head for ICU, I glance at Gem and I can tell she is nervous but is feeling the same hopeful way as me.

Doctor Mills came by and reduced mum's sedation a few hours ago after doing some more general tests "Things are looking promising" he says as he finishes up.

So all we can do now is wait. That's all I've done for days now is wait....it's torture! I definitely won't be leaving her bedside today, I want to be here when she opens her eyes.

As we wait and pray and hope, I think about Ben and the others. I really should let them know what's going on, so hunt out my phone from my jacket that's slung over the back of my seat and I scroll through my message threads for the old birthday one that was made. Everyone's in that chat, including Louis.

H- Hi lads. Just wanted to drop a quick message to let you know how things are going here. We finally got some good news last night, swelling of the brain is reducing and they are hoping to bring her around today, I'm missing you all x

Ben's the 1st to reply, followed quickly by Niall.

B- Good to hear from you cuz. Fingers crossed all goes well today. Miss you too lad, flats to quiet without you x

H- Great to hear H. Been thinking of you and Gem x

Z- You okay H? We're (Li, me and Lou ) worried? X

H- I'm doing okay Z, thanks. I appreciate all the kind words lads. Hopefully see you all soon. X

I know Zayn most likely added Louis name to make me feel better. Not gonna lie though knowing Zayn probably did that hurts so much.

It's late afternoon when I feel it happen, it's subtle but I feel it.

Gem and I are cemented to either side of mum's bed, her hands cupped in ours. We're chatting shit back and forth when I feel the lightest of touches inside my cupped hands. I freeze, "Gem" she looks across at me, waiting for me to continue "I think.....Yeah, I think mum's finger just moved" I remove my top hand revealing mum's resting hand in between mine. Both mine and Gemma's eyes are now glued to her hand. C'mon mum, you can do it, I can tell Gemma's chanting the same in her head and heart.

There it is the slightest flinch of mum's pointer finger! I fly out of my seat like I've been zapped by a taser, "Mum, can you hear me?" I'm stroking her arm, willing her eyes to open. Gems got a smile on her face but tears covering her cheeks when I look over at her.