Learning Through a Game (Hinanami)

Requested by @kiwiboy12

Hajime put four melonpans in a plate. Funniest part, none in of them were for him. But that didn't bother him, because giving all of that food was for a good cause. What cause? Why none other than his pregnant wife, who was in the living room waiting for her food right now.

As Hajime walked in, he saw Chiaki sitting on the couch, holding a gameboy that rested on her swollen belly. The sound that emitted from it was that of a crying baby. "What are you playing?", asked Hajime. "A game", said Chiaki. Hajime chuckled and sat down. "Yes, but what kind of game?"

Chiaki didn't answer. She didn't need to, since her husband peeked over her shoulder to see what she was playing. In the game, Chiaki was playing what seemed to be a mother, judging by the surroundings and the fact the game character was holding a baby. "Are you seriously playing a game about being a mother?"

Chiaki blushed. Her face looked like one of shame. Hajime put the plate of melonpans on the table and guided his wife's hands to lay the gameboy down. "You don't need to play a game to be a mom, Honey." "I know." Hajime rubbed her shoulder. "Listen, I understand how you feel. This is pretty scary stuff. But just know, you aren't alone. If you need to know how to take care of a baby, I'll be here."

Chiaki looked at her husband with a confused expression.

"You know how to take care of a baby?" "I used to babysit", explained Hajime. "It was hard, but I survived." Chiaki chuckled. "Thanks Hajime. I'm happy that you're here with me. But if I'm being honest, I like this game. It taught me to wash a pacifier before giving it to the baby." Hajime was about to say something, before taking back his words. "That's actually not wrong. Guess I'll give the game some credit." Chiaki chuckled. "The game doesn't teach me everything. You can teach me those parts."

Hajime chuckled. He picked up the plate of melonpans and offered it to his beloved wife. She gladly took one, then continued her game. Her lover watched her play, as normally would whenever she did this. "That baby's super ugly." "It's actually an animatronic." "What?" "This is actually a game show. I'm playing a contestant that's taking care of an animatronic baby." Hajime's eyes widened. "That's some lore. And I thought the Five Nights at Freddy's one was something." "What about Undertale?", asked Chiaki.

"Okay that too", said Hajime. The couple shared a chuckle and continued to share their little moment. Hajime rested his hand on his wife's belly, but immediately retracted with a shocked look on his face. He looked at Chiaki, who looked back with the same surprised face. "Did you feel that?", she asked. "You mean the fact that our baby just kicked? Of course I did!" Hajime excitedly crouched in front of his wife's stomach. He rested his ear against it, and, coincidentally, the baby gave another kick, making its parents smile wider.

"Hey there little guy. Or girl. We don't know yet", joked Hajime. "Sounds like you're really excited to come out. Well, so are we. Your mom is even here playing video games just so she can make you the happiest kid in town." Chiaki smiled at her husband's words. "And I know for a fact, you will not look ugly like that baby in the game." Chiaki laughed.

"Can't wait to see you. Both of us can't." Hajime rested his forehead on Chiaki's belly. The said woman picked up the TV remote and turned on the television. "What are you doing?", asked Hajime. "I'm gonna play the Sims. I need to learn how to take care of a baby and a husband at the same time." Hajime chuckled. "Maybe I can learn a thing or two too."

Chiaki patted the spot next to her on the couch, where her husband took a seat and watched her play video games, learning how to be a parent with her.