20. My Family

I found myself on the terrace the morning after, staring out over the kingdom we ruled together these years. Asgard flourished like never before so I'm told, Odin and Freya couldn't be happier. I had two beautiful children, a kingdom that basically runs itself.

...

I startle hearing giggling and moving curtains "What are you doing up?" I said in singsong before turning. Aida, my oldest, pokes her head out and grins "I wanted to see Father but he's sleeping" she said, running up to me. I grinned and picked her up happily "Well thank you for letting him sleep," I said, turning to our view of the bifrost. Aida pointed "Are Nana and Grumpa coming today?" I nodded "Yes, Aida, them and Aunty Jane, everyone's coming to celebrate our victory," I said. She nodded but stared off almost wistfully 'She's been doing that a lot lately' I thought, following her stare back out to the stars. "What do you see my love?" she shrugs and pushes some hair out of her face "Mama, why do we never see your family?" she asked. I tilted my head, sitting her on the bench "We're seeing them tonight honey, what do you mean?" I asked. She sighed, pulling out a piece of paper with the royal family line and handed it over. "Is this from the archives?" she nodded and pointed "Teacher showed us this in a book but your tree is shorter" she said.

I rolled my lips and sighed "Well... Honestly, Aida," I folded up the paper trying to decide how to explain this best. I took her hands "Mommy's blood family is very far away... Even mommy doesn't know where they are," I said. "Mommy was alone for a long time... Eventually, I ended up here, where I met Nana Freya and Grumpa Odin, and they became my family even before I married Daddy," I said. She smiles at me "And I've only ever needed them," I said confidently before standing up, sensing someone coming. Loki draws back the curtains, lazily dressed in some long pants, his hair a knotted mess, and his eyes barely open. He groaned, scratching his belly as Aida ran over "Morning Daddy!" she yelled as he picked her up. I walked over and kissed him "Good morning to my two favorite girls" he said, kissing her forehead.

I laughed watching Aida ask a million questions about the realm he was just at, curiosity ladening her eyes. I couldn't help but feel drawn to what she said though. Throughout the night I was plagued by it, I can't rightly explain why. Even during the big dinner everyone smiled and cheered around me, drinking to their hearts content as Loki shared stories from the battlefield. I tried to listen but after a bit I slipped away quietly. I dredged the halls until I found myself at the library. I started at the door before entering, a quick scan tells me no one's around.

Traversing the library for a little longer than I'd planned, I come across the books Aida was referring to. Stories going back generations for Loki and Odin. The newer books even included Loki's adoption, and a bit of Laufey's story. There was a thinner book discussing everything between my arrival and Aida's book, but nothing else about my line. I can see why this perplexed her, the Odin line has vast books about each endeavor her Father did. Nothing about her mother.

I clasp the book shut hearing someone clear their throat, Loki's at the end of the shelf looking down at me with a grin. "You know my tales are less fun to tell if I'm not impressing a beautiful person while doing it," he says, strutting over. I giggled and stood with his help "Sorry, I was a bit distracted," I said as he picked up a book. He analyzed a couple of spines "Asgardian history?" I nodded, crossing my arms. I gathered my words as he used his magic to tidy my mess "Aida asked who my family was," I said. He nodded, his mood suddenly softening "I told her what happened, at least a summary, and she seemed fine with it but-"

"You weren't," he finished, taking my hands in his soft ones. I sighed and nodded, cleaning into his chest "I thought I was fine not knowing, you are all my family after all," I admitted. He nodded "We are," he rubbed my back comfortingly "But clearly you want answers and there is nothing wrong with that," he cooed. He curls me into him as he waves a hand, he shows me a white and golden epic city, surrounded by people.

I glance around "What... What is this?" I asked, Loki gestures it "This is Omnipotence City, it's a city where. God's come together and usually get drunk and fight. I don't usually attend, but they may have some answers for you, it's run by Zeus," he said. He waves his hand and the city changes to show an older man decorated in white and gold. I widened .y eyes recognizing him "Him," I pointed "He was in my memory, he called me Athena," I said. I tried to touch his face but I phased through. Loki stepped forward "That's Zeus ruler of the city," he said. I narrowed my eyes "Just how many pantheons are there?" Loki only shrugged "I suspect thousands," he said. He dismissed Zeus and took my hand again "But we'll be finding out," I tilt my head while he smiles so warmly at me.

I catch on and sigh "No, no,Loki we can't, what about Aida and Nox?" He gestured the palace "If only we were surrounded by family willing to help you at the drop of a hat," he said.i blink as he only grins, I'm waiting for a punch line I don't think is coming. I tilt my head "You're serious?" "As a heart attack," he tugs me back into him "We journey over, find out what we can, go from there... My war is over darling," he said. He leaned down to kiss me quickly "You supported me through this, let me help you," he said.

His eyes shine down so beautifully it's hard to look away. I smile and nod "Okay" I said "Omnipotent City, here we go," he laughs and walks with me

"Well leave at second light,"

"Why not tomorrow?"

"I am going to be very hungover and very sore from the love making from tonight,"

"We haven't made love today,"

"Right, so we'll need to catch up my Queen,"

"I suppose we must, my King,"

Drunken Snickers, sloppy kisses, and promises of answers lingered in the air. We both knew no matter what came of this, we wouldn't trade anything for what we already have.

(A//N: Thank you guys so so much for reading! I'm sorry it took forever, I got wrapped up with my book and other personal projects.

Please know I haven't forgotten about my Loki simps, I love seeing everyone's reading list names, comments, and votes pouring in day by day. I appreciate you guys more than you know, it always makes my day to see you guys loving what I've been writing! Ive even been trying to get some ideas on the board for other stories, so we shall see!

Again I'm sorry this took so long but I hope you guys enjoyed this! If you haven't yet please check out the other works on my profile, and check out my first paperback book called Hushed Tones, a contemporary roommates-to-lovers story!

https://novastorm.my.canva.site/

Love you all!)